Black cab driver tosser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Never said they were did I? I was berating all taxi drivers but particularly black cab drivers who as well as being rude and nasty can now count on having their monopoly and their ability to charge extortionate fares toppled which serves them right.

Are you forced to use taxi cabs against your will until Uber et al destroy them? If not do you actually have a point ?

Drago

Legendary Member
That's not a bad plan. Use Uber until the taxis are all gone, and then ditch Uber too. The roads will be a wondrous place full of joy and love.

cabbieman

I'm a bit disturbed about the hatred of some people towards cabbies. In my opinion cabbies are an easy target for some people. In my experience as a cyclist Lots of car drivers could do with retraining and as a cabbie Lots of cyclists could do with having a look at their positioning and their holier than thou attitude.

Jason

Positioning?
We take the lane to counter doors opening and cars squeezing by.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Have to commute home through some pretty busy parts of central London most days, ive had my fair share of bellends who call themselves 'professional drivers' but have not an ounce of respect for cyclists

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
[QUOTE 4916703, member: 1314"]Black cab drivers should not be allowed in London Bus Lanes. They are not public transport, but private transport.

Ridiculous scenarios occuring in London Bus lanes during rush hour where a cyclist takes up the space of one person, a bus takes up the space of 70 or 80 people but a Black Cab with one or two people is taking up the space of five or six people.

It's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
There are loads of buses in bus lanes with 1 or 2 people on board.

To be honest London could do with a cull of 80% of all taxis and private hire. Very few actually need them. Yes, getting a cab is sometimes a good way to travel but I'd gladly trade that for a drop of tens of thousands of unnecessary vehicles clogging up the roads.

Last edited:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I used to work opposite the Mercure Hotel on Southwark Street, SE1. If I had a pound for every cyclist I saw taken out by a Hackney Cab driver outside that hotel, I'd have several pounds.

Mainly it happened thus: punter would come out of the hotel doors, walk to the edge of the pavement and flag a cab. Said cab would swing into the curb without bothering to check their nearside mirror. This would be followed by a metallic thump and smash.

Occasionally it would happen thus: punter would flag down cab, cabbie would swing into the curb without checking mirrors, thankfully no cyclists would be present. Punter would then ask cabbie to take him somewhere in the City, across London Bridge. Punter would board cab, cab would swing a U-turn without bothering to check his offside mirror, as a cyclist was overtaking him. This would be followed by a metallic thump and a smash.

Once or twice, the cabbie concerned proffered a SMIDSY. All the other times, the cabbie would harangue the cyclist for his or her stupidity, what with him being a professional driver and all that, and therefore infallible.

I don't bother taking cabs in London, partly for the above reasons.

I'm more than happy to take cabs in Liverpool, however, as the cabbies there are boss.

Ste T.

Guru
I must admit I thought it was ironic after seeing black cabbies ranting about cyclists blocking roads to protest, only to see them gridlocking central London themselves to protest about Uber.

Top Bottom