Blackburn TRX-1 Ultimate Touring Pannier Rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lone Rider

Hi all

Has anybody used this rack for touring with panniers?
BLACRACK262000000000_1_large.jpg

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...ate-touring-pannier-rack/blacrack262000000000

It seems to be a lot narrower on top than a typical rack, which would mean less wind resistance. My old rack has a top that is 13 cms wide but I have seen others as wide as 24 cms. I have tried to find the measurements of the rack but I can't.

I am surprised that there aren't more narrower racks about, or have I missed something?

Any information about this, or a similar, rack would be greatfully received.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What you are missing is that once you hang planners off each side the narrowness and supposed reduced wind resistance is lost, if it was ever there in the first place.

Crankarm

Guru
Wind resistance, what a load of carp.

I wouldn't use a Blackburn rack even if it was given to me as they are rubbish. Really crappy welding on them that fails. Happened to two EX-2 racks I had. Also not that rigid as my ones used to wobble side to side like a jelly. I now have Madison Summits which are solid, no movement what so ever and welding is far superior ie they don't break. Highly recommended and a fraction of the price of Tubus racks which are over priced imho plus Tubus' QC is a bit ropey as well. I bought x2 Ergo front Low loaders but unfortunately they had awful finishes so were sent back to Wiggle. The 3rd one they sent was diabolical having sharp welding swarf deposits on the tubes that had been painted over on which I unwhittingly cut myself. Never used it. Eventually got a refund, but I haven't used Wiggle since as they were crap to deal with.

Blackburn = AVOID.

Big T

Guru
It looks quite similar to the Bor Yueh rack on my wife's Dawes Horizon. Being narrow has the disadvantage of being less stable if you use a rack pack. It will bring the panniers closer together and a slight improvement in aerodynamics, but i don't think you'll notice it, TBH. I have a Blackburn EX1 on my Panorama which has been OK for 4 years and has a heavy pannier hung off it every workday.

Tango

Not sure what racks they are, but the ones that came with the Dawes galaxies I purchased last summer seem ok

Not sure that wind resistance is relevant, by the time I had panniers, tent, chair sleeping bag plus red wine, and baguette hanging off it, aerodynamics wasn't even a consideration :smile:

avalon

Guru
Wind resistance, what a load of carp.

I wouldn't use a Blackburn rack even if it was given to me as they are rubbish. Really crappy welding on them that fails. Happened to two EX-2 racks I had. Also not that rigid as my ones used to wobble side to side like a jelly. I now have Madison Summits which are solid, no movement what so ever and welding is far superior ie they don't break. Highly recommended and a fraction of the price of Tubus racks which are over priced imho plus Tubus' QC is a bit ropey as well. I bought x2 Ergo front Low loaders but unfortunately they had awful finishes so were sent back to Wiggle. The 3rd one they sent was diabolical having sharp welding swarf deposits on the tubes that had been painted over on which I unwhittingly cut myself. Never used it. Eventually got a refund, but I haven't used Wiggle since as they were crap to deal with.

Blackburn = AVOID.
I've had a Blackburn front rack for 27 years. It hasn't broken yet.

Hi all
It seems to be a lot narrower on top than a typical rack, which would mean less wind resistance. My old rack has a top that is 13 cms wide but I have seen others as wide as 24 cms. I have tried to find the measurements of the rack but I can't.

Wind resistance can be a great help with a following wind. Once in the Outer Hebrides on the island of Uist the wind was pushed me along at 30 MPH without having to pedal, later when I had to cycle into the wind the resistance of the Panniers did not seem make much difference. As to the durability of different makes of racks, it seems to me and over the years I have used quite a few different makes, you get what you pay for, however I agree with Crankarm that you really need to check the standard of build before purchasing, like cars, you can get racks that got welded at the end of shift, poor before shipment inspection etc. Currently I am using Old man mountain racks, the pair I am using have been built to a high standard and finish.

jjb

Über Member
I would not presume that having a narrower gap between the panniers is better for aerodynamics. The interesting thing about these slopey racks though is that the panniers are resting on the rackside rather than hanging straight down. Probably good for avoiding any swinging movements with certain pannier types.

I seem to have been luckier than Crank, have had great service from Wiggle and never needed to cash in the lifetime warranty on my Blackburn rack these last 20 years.

Crankarm

Guru
Well all I can say is good riddance to my Blackburn racks. The Madisons I now use are far superior not only in terms of welding but rigidity. I no longer feel the rear panniers swinging when I have to take evasive action like swerving to avoid glass or a hole at night which was very disconcerting with the two crappy Blackburn racks that I thought were good until the welds broke. IIRC the tubing was pretty thin, too thin imho. The short comings of the racks become really noticeable carrying heavy loads. As I say there are now much better racks available.

summitsilver.jpg

jjb

Über Member
Does look like a good rack. Interesting with the interchangeable metal plate bits. You can get it for £20ish on ebay, good price, in a listing that, intriguingly, suggests it is made by Blackburn.

Crankarm

Guru
Who ever wrote the listing is a numptee. It is a MADISON rack not Blackburn. Blackburn does not figure at all in the labelling or packaging that comes with it.

madisonsummit.jpg

avalon

Guru
Well all I can say is good riddance to my Blackburn racks. The Madisons I now use are far superior not only in terms of welding but rigidity. I no longer feel the rear panniers swinging when I have to take evasive action like swerving to avoid glass or a hole at night which was very disconcerting with the two crappy Blackburn racks that I thought were good until the welds broke. IIRC the tubing was pretty thin, too thin imho. The short comings of the racks become really noticeable carrying heavy loads. As I say there are now much better racks available.

summitsilver.jpg [/quot] I agree with Crankarm about the quality of the Madison rack. There may be better racks available but this one is probably far superior to many of the more expensive racks that are available.

OP
OP
Lone Rider

Lone Rider

When I reffered to reduced wind resistance I was thinking about having the panniers on the rack. Depending on the rack being used the load could be anything up to 20 cms narrower. The narrower the load, the less wind resistance!
Blackburn offer a lifetime warranty, so if a welding was to break I could always send it back.

Top Bottom