Blisters... how to deal with them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I get mine from running not riding btw.

No idea why the sprang up today, same running shoes as always, same socks, same stuff on the skln of my feet, a distance I've run before without probelm, only thing I can think of is that my feet must have swellled becuase it was hot.

How best to deal with them given I've got a 5km 'race' on Thursday night and a FNRttC ride on Friday?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I just pop them, then leave to heal, but you've got more running to do later in the week.

I tend to get heat blisters, but only on one foot and in hot weather.

zacklaws

Guru
It might sound painful, but in fact you do not feel a thing ( unless you catch the skin underneath) as it is only the external layer of skin your piercing, get a needle and thread it with some cotton, and then pass the needle through the blister from one side to the other, ensuring that you have penetrated the external layer of skin, and then cut the cotton so that about half an inch remains at both sides of the blister. This will allow fluids to drain out and it will heal very quick. Usually the outer layer just goes back into place as if there was no blister in the first place sealing in the cotton so just let it wear away on its own.

It worked for me in the army, and just to confirm it, I've found a reference online:-

http://60milestogo.blogspot.com/2011/05/as-mentioned-in-my-previous-posting.html

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
At the beginning of a long distance walking trip in the mountains of France, I developed a 50p sized blister on the heel of one foot. It burst leaving a wound the colour of raw liver. Fortunately I had brought along some Spenco Second Skin. This comprises a cooling gel pad that you apply to the wound, and a sticky bandage to hold it in place. Oh boy, it worked! I could walk without any pain in my hiking boots for ten days.

Get down to a pharmacy or outdoor shop and grab some.

Good luck.

Edit: Here is some more information....

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...nd Skin dressing/Owner Review by Yi-Jien Hwa/

djmc

Über Member
I used to do a lot of walking and climbing and used to wear very heavy mountain boots (RD supers). I occasionally used to get blisters. I used to use zinc oxide plaster straight onto the skin. If I thought I would suffer beforehand I used to put plaster on before wearing the boots. Otherwise I used it on top of the blister. I left the plaster on until it fell off. It did nothing for the state of my socks but works well. Do not burst the blister if you can avoid it. The plaster seems to stop the chafing between one's skin and socks.

Fiona N

Veteran
At the beginning of a long distance walking trip in the mountains of France, I developed a 50p sized blister on the heel of one foot. It burst leaving a wound the colour of raw liver. Fortunately I had brought along some Spenco Second Skin. This comprises a cooling gel pad that you apply to the wound, and a sticky bandage to hold it in place. Oh boy, it worked! I could walk without any pain in my hiking boots for ten days.

Good luck.

http://www.backpackg...0Yi-Jien%20Hwa/

I'll second Spenco 2nd Skin - absolutely a life saver as it both heals and protects from further damage. Even better than Compeed plasters.

If you're worried about getting blisters, look out the Compeed foot lubricant (available from Boots at the footcare counter). It comes in a stick like a large lip salve but seems to consist of teflon in a form suitable for applying to skin. It completely removes the friction between skin and sock. Magic :biggrin:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
For future prevention, how many miles have your shoes seen? Are you wearing running specific socks?

If your shoes are on their way out, they can start to cause blisters when they previously didnt. I would also recommend proper running socks if you run a lot (if you already wear these, and they arent worn out then ignore this), they really helped me, I used to blister up pretty bad, now I rarely get bad blisters, only occasionally a small one here or there after a long run.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

Good luck.

http://www.backpackg...0Yi-Jien%20Hwa/

I will third "Second Skin". It allowed me to carry on many a Mountain Walking week.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It might sound painful, but in fact you do not feel a thing ( unless you catch the skin underneath) as it is only the external layer of skin your piercing, get a needle and thread it with some cotton, and then pass the needle through the blister from one side to the other, ensuring that you have penetrated the external layer of skin, and then cut the cotton so that about half an inch remains at both sides of the blister. This will allow fluids to drain out and it will heal very quick. Usually the outer layer just goes back into place as if there was no blister in the first place sealing in the cotton so just let it wear away on its own.

It worked for me in the army, and just to confirm it, I've found a reference online:-

http://60milestogo.b...us-posting.html

I shall try to remember that trick :biggrin:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For future prevention, how many miles have your shoes seen? Are you wearing running specific socks?

If your shoes are on their way out, they can start to cause blisters when they previously didnt. I would also recommend proper running socks if you run a lot (if you already wear these, and they arent worn out then ignore this), they really helped me, I used to blister up pretty bad, now I rarely get bad blisters, only occasionally a small one here or there after a long run.

Shoes have seen about 30 hours use, same model and size as their predecessors, and yep the socks are running specific but I've just bought a pair of 1000 mile double layer ones to see if they make any odds.

Top Bottom