Blood pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
A couple of weeks ago I had to go to hospital for a procedure. They took my blood pressure. 150/110 was the result on their fancy electronic machine. This was a bit surprising as it is usually within the normal average range. I put it down to anxiety about the procedure. Anyway, today I bought a blood pressure monitor from Aldi. I have to take as read their stated accuracy in the specifications as +/- 3 mmHg. After relaxing for a couple of hours we have just taken my BP again and got a reading of 140/100 which is still a bit on the high side.

I am going to make an appointment tomorrow to see our practice nurse and get her to check it for me. If nothing else I will be able to compare my machine with the surgery's. If it is still high she will then advise me what to do next, probably see a doctor.

In the meantime I will carry on riding knowing that exercise is one of the recommendations for reducing blood pressure.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You need some of the pills i am on,^_^ hope everything will be ok.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Mines high all the time, just taken it while sat here 161/95, but when I go to the doctors they tell me it's borderline for treatment so I don't get anything.
Thats quite surprising I thought any regular reading for 140+/90+ got medicated.

To the OP If I get a high reading in a clinical setting which is usual for me it can take a week for my home readings to settle again, bought on by antcipation stress.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Thats quite surprising I thought any regular reading for 140+/90+ got medicated.

To the OP If I get a high reading in a clinical setting which is usual for me it can take a week for my home readings to settle again, bought on by antcipation stress.

After reading Numbnuts post I read the NICE guidelines and I am surprised at his doctor's attitude. Of course what they never admit is that as you get older they seek to spend less and less on your treatment where possible.

My first reading was in a clinical setting which was why I put it down to anxiety, and has been just over a fortnight till I did today's reading. I am not overly concerned but just aware it could bear monitoring.

Doc will usually take two bp readings and if it is still high will probably put you on bp tablets.

I should know, i went to my doc about something else and while i was there he said i'll just take your bp and that was it,on the pills for life now

Taking the tablets will regulate your bp to normal.

Recently I kept feeling lightheaded when i got up from a chair and it turned out that taking the tablets and the health benefits from cycling meant i was getting a bit of low bp.

geo

150/110 is dangerous the diastolic figure (the lower one ) should not exceed 100 normal being around 80. This is effectively your resting blood pressure in other words how hard your heart is working when resting.
Are you over weight ? how much exercise do you do ? how often do you check your BP ?

You are doing the right thing by seeing your GP

I work abroad regularly and need a company medical to do so any BP reading over 150/100 and your not allowed to travel and are referred to your GP.

Best of luck, getting it seen to, but definately dont ignore those readings

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
all the doctor will do is take it again and then probably advise you to lay off the salt a bit....

Most likely as you say. Unfortunately I have, or am doing, most of the things doctors tell you to do. I am losing weight and watching my diet (and salt intake), getting plenty of exercise, up to 150 miles a week on the bike and I quit smoking nearly 5 years ago. Recently I have also started swimming again after many years away from the pool. That'll mess the doctor up because those three things are what they tell everyone to do when they don't know what's wrong or causing someone's symptoms.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I am very cynical of these arbitary figures that Dr's prescribe medications. They are getting lower and lower, in the USA you could get yourself a prescription for rocking up to your Dr with a BP of 130/85.

Albert

Über Member
BP is very hard to measure if you are the worrying kind.. The more you worry the higher it gets. At the Doc's surgery my BP is sky high, even with medication. At home, after learning how to relax, it is low. The fact that the OP has posted would suggest to me that he is, at least, wound up.
Wound Up = high BP.

Berties

Fast and careful!
high Blood pressure can be something that comes on gradually for no reason and then controlled,or there may be a under lying cause some times non specific i.e. a virus,a doctor always dispenses a general drug to lower then does a full mot and group of tests to determine causes,with me there is no cause i am on low drugs(took a couple of months to get right),and maintain a healthy bp of 130/75,
with out exercise and drugs my bp went to 225/150(dam high),i have a normal bmi and fit as you like,as my doctor says it was my time,and was identified very quickly,like the op it was put down to white coat syndrome first as i was having a tendon stitched,but the hospital and doctor rechecked and still high

My BP is usually only high when I visit my GP. I have had issues with low BP in hospital with them taking me off my medication as a result (whilst I am in hospital). I used to cycle 6 days a week ( 15 miles ) and swim 5 days a week (1,000m). I'm effectively vegan, hate the salt of salt and it is rarely if ever used. On tour I come off 1 medication completely and halve the other, otherwise I get very light headed (or lose vision completely) when I stop exersions such as cycling up hill - all signs of low BP. I used to monitor it at home, getting seriously low BP readings (xx/yy rather than xxx/yy), never anything higher than 'normal'.

There is no medical reason for the high BP (and it has been very high). Nowadays I usually manage a 135/85 with meds when I visit the GP, but the trick is to make sure I don't wait long and to make sure my GP takes my BP immediately rather than wait til the end of the consult.

Top Bottom