Blue Peter presenter cycling to South Pole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Apparently Helen Skelton is planning to cycle to the South Pole, setting a record for the longest cycle on snow in the process:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16157981

She certainly likes challenges :bicycle:
I'm in the middle of reading Shackelton's story of his expedition. I don't want to pour too much ice water on this bit of BBC blurb, but how is she going to "cycle" over 8-10 foot ridges of ice?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Sorry to be a kill-joy but can't help thinking "Why?"... what is the point of spending all that time, pain and discomfort [+ film crew and the considerable back-up probably with helicopters, support ship, containers for equipment etc] that it'll require using the BBC's money just to prove she can... don't say for the adventure. Bah humbug.

If the only justification is that the BBC are doing it to raise money for Sport Relief, just donate the money it would all cost direct? There are a lot of people who go on much simpler adventures to raise money for charity who pay their own way.

I think they should open a book on how long it will take before a driver cuts her up, opens the window, shows her the clenched fist (or single finger) and rants about how all cyclists are the devils spawn and how they should pay "road tax" like everyone else. ^_^

Funny how the bbc didn't send her to the north pole.
Maybe it's because that would go against the bbc/guardian/climate change propaganda machine
that tells us the artic ice has melted for the first time and ships can get through, blah,blah,etc.

It does in the summer ... especially as its only 8-10 feet thick and floating on the sea!

I'm surprised they let clarkson drive to the north pole the other year.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Her Facebook blog confirms that she was advised by experienced Icelandic base camp people not to go as conditions for cycling on existing snow in -20deg will be harder than she thinks, but she wants to prove them wrong... managed 15 miles on long first day instead of 25 miles.

polar_bike624x370.jpg

Seamless frame? :huh:

I'd have chosen a Surly Moonlander over this.

Attachments

• polar_bike624x370.jpg
    polar_bike624x370.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 30
I personally think there will be some bbc-style smoke and mirrors going on.
When we're not looking, that bike will be in the back of a land-rover travelling at 15mph.

If you see some of the stuff that goes on in top-gear and how much of it is "pre-planned" to look
like an "accident" months ahead, you'll know where i'm coming from.

I have fitted winter-snow tyres (with rubber like a pencil eraser) to my mountain bike, and then cycled in 2" deep snow over
my regular 30 mile course at -6c. That seriously hurt (i think my average heart rate was 175bpm over 3 hours).
So how's she going to cope with -40c in the antarctic summer?

Top Bottom