BME (Black, Minority and Ethnic) representation in cycling clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Does the membership of any cycling club accurately reflect the BME makeup in their catchment area? Should it?

Mod note :
Thread title edited to clarify meaning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drago

Legendary Member
Why "B"ME at all? Are the other minorities so unimportant thar they don't justify actually being named in the classification title?

RelievedFearfulBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif

AuroraSaab

Veteran
'Black, minority ethnic' ie. non white Brits.

I see all sorts of folk riding bikes to get from A to B, old, young, ethnic minority etc. I don't see older Muslim girls or women riding bikes actually, but I no longer live in an area with a high Muslim population, so there might be more of them, I just don't see them now - but I get the impression that cycle clubs are still mainly white.

Not sure why this is; maybe people have the impression that you need a flash bike and all the gear to join and that expense is beyond many in the BME community, who are more likely to be less well off. Same reason why folk don't take up golf, I suppose.

A club mate heads up BoB (Brothers on Bikes) and I follow BCN (Black Cyclists Network) after hearing a fantastic podcast on LMNH.

These are only two groups I know of and both are open and welcoming to all groups.

I don't get all this I'm sorry, surely we are all just people riding a bike. I feel sure I wouldn't be able to start WCN (White Cyclists Network).

Sometimes I just feel this has all gone too far. Just my opinion.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't get all this I'm sorry, surely we are all just people riding a bike. I feel sure I wouldn't be able to start WCN (White Cyclists Network).

I think it's something to do with an "Identity politics" view of people and social interaction. I'm as confused as you, but here's an introduction....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_politics

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Does the membership of any cycling club accurately reflect the BME makeup in their catchment area? Should it?

My club has 0.5% non white members - we have 200 members. It doesn't reflect the local community but I think it reflects the make up of cyclists, as opposed to POBs, on our local roads.

Should it? Absolutely not. Cycle club membership should accurately reflect anyone those who want to join of whatever ethnicity. If local people of BME don't cycle that has nothing to do with nor is it any reflection of the local club.

D

Deleted member 1258

I don’t get this, if someone wants to go out on a bike, then they are a person riding a bike, isn’t it just the case that certain communities have different interests to us, & in reality have absolutely no interest in cycling, it wouldn’t do for us all to have the same interests

:thumbsup:

A club mate heads up BoB (Brothers on Bikes) and I follow BCN (Black Cyclists Network) after hearing a fantastic podcast on LMNH.

These are only two groups I know of and both are open and welcoming to all groups.
I remember the interview/feature with 'BoB' in Cycling Weekly a while ago

Co-incidentally, I was talking to a Police Officer the other day (no, I wasn't helping him with his enquiries), who I've known since School, he offered the same thoughts on the National Black Police Association
Ie; why separate themselves

Top Bottom