Boardman comp hybrid, is this a good choice for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manimal

Hi all, Im looking for some advice!
I am looking to commute to work occasionally(6 + times a month), i already have a reasonable off road bike and am looking for something a bit quicker and less heavyfor the road.
As my employer is in the CTW scheme i went to halfords to have a look, the bike that took my fancy was the 2009 boardman comp hybrid, it seems to get spot on reviews everywhere but i am looking at alternatives before i jump in as halfords can supply me with any bike on the market(within reason).
i am looking to spend up to £600 and my ride to work is 13 miles each way.
the boardman is here:
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_comp.html

any advice gratefully accepted!!!!:biggrin:

ive also looked at the Specialized Sirrus Elite 2009 which also gets good reviews, ive looked at the specs on both but to be quite honest dont know which is better specd, can anyone help me out?
http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1593

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
TechMech was riding a Boardman comp hybrid on the CC ride on Sunday, you could try giving him a ping and ask him about it...

The gearing on the two bikes is different, the thing that catches my eye is that the Boardman has got higher gears a 50x11 as opposed to the 48x12 and will be better for speed. I initially also thought at the lower end of the spectrum the Sirrus being a tripple will have lower gears for climbing hills than the compact (2 chain ring) Boardman but the Boardman has a larger cassette so I unsure :blush: an expert will be able to tell you.

The best thing you can do is test ride them and see what you prefer.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The higher gearing on the Boardman is probably why TechMech was struggling on the hills on Sunday, as HLaB says the best thing is to take both for a test ride, before deciding...

OP
OP
manimal

manimal

HLaB said:
The gearing on the two bikes is different, the thing that catches my eye is that the Boardman has got higher gears a 50x11 as opposed to the 48x12 and will be better for speed. I initially also thought at the lower end of the spectrum the Sirrus being a tripple will have lower gears for climbing hills than the compact (2 chain ring) Boardman but the Boardman has a larger cassette so I unsure :biggrin: an expert will be able to tell you.

The best thing you can do is test ride them and see what you prefer.

thanks mate but i cant find anywhere near me that does the sirrus

OP
OP
manimal

manimal

Hairy Jock said:
The higher gearing on the Boardman is probably why TechMech was struggling on the hills on Sunday, as HLaB says the best thing is to take both for a test ride, before deciding...

have given techmech a shout for his thoughts, thanks for that mate

PC_Arcade

I have the Team'08 and I've been very happy with it, it's used for a daily 10mile commute and with the exception of having to swap the tyres for Marathon +'s due to getting an INSANE amount of "unexpected defations" haven['t felt the need to change anything.

Although I'm not fast up hills, the rest of the ride more than compensates.

If there's anything specific you want to know, I can help as best aI can :biggrin:

OP
OP
manimal

manimal

PC_Arcade said:
I have the Team'08 and I've been very happy with it, it's used for a daily 10mile commute and with the exception of having to swap the tyres for Marathon +'s due to getting an INSANE amount of "unexpected defations" haven['t felt the need to change anything.

Although I'm not fast up hills, the rest of the ride more than compensates.

If there's anything specific you want to know, I can help as best aI can :biggrin:

thanks mate i appreciate your reply,as my commute doesnt have any hills that i can think of im definitely drawn towards the boardman, ive asked a few mates who are keen club cyclists and they reckon the boardman has the better spec of the two

TechMech

Hairy Jock said:

For Struggling read Dying :huh:

The boardman has 11-32 at rear and 50/36 up front.

After Sunday's heavy breathing session I've been investigating a triple upgrade for the bike, and wiggle sell one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Truvativ_Touro_Powerspline_Triple_Chainset/5360021067/

This can be used with the existing BB and is a 52/42/30. However, i also discovered that i'd need to change the front mech too as it's only designed for a double chainset. The front shifter is already triple capable, but has been set up for two.

PC_Arcade

I thought the heavy breathing and feeling that I'm about to die was all part of the fun tech :smile:

One the longer route I sometimes take there are two steep hills (for those that know Oxford - Headington hill and Ladder hill (1:11) in Wheatley) and they are doable whilst remaining seated for me on the boardman, although they are hard work!

Although that could be a fitness thing for me to be honest, I've only been cycling since Sept last year (and only since Jan on the Boardman) and I'm slightly overwight, I'm sure more experienced / fitter cyclists could struggle less

OP
OP
manimal

manimal

JamesM said:
Is your route all on roads? Is there a particular reason you're looking at hybrids?

I bought a Specialized CrossTrail Sport last year for my commute along the canal tow path and I'm happy with it.

thanks for the input mate, i was planning to use the roads really but will have a look at your bike, whats it like on the road gearing wise?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If you are just looking a bike just for on road use, then there are better bikes than Specialized CrossTrail Sport at that price point. You are paying extra for suspension forks which are just a nuisance on the road, you don't need them, I would question whether they are worth it for canal tow paths as well...

Top Bottom