boardman cx comp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my trusty carrera that carries me back and forth to work every day (38 miles) is starting to need a lot of new bits and pieces and, with the bike to work scheme kicking in, i've got my eye on the boardman cx comp as a possible replacement:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike

looks to tick all the boxes (especially not requiring a new wheelset every year); anyone got one and loving/hating it?

I have one and love it.

It rides well with 700x37c tyres, decent specification (Sora mechs and levers, FSA cranks, good set of hoops) and is fairly light for the price. Mine is set up with guards and a rack and has had a few personal modifications so it suits me better. Mainly shorter stem and lizard skin bar tape as the OEM stuff was a little too thin for my liking.

The main downsides are:

A) the Tektro brakes I found are a pain to maintain, always rubbing and warping the disc. In the end I took them off and replaced with shimano calipers.

B) the paintwork scratches easily and may annoy you. I am not bothered, a bike is meant to be ridden.

Attachments

• IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 837

The Bystander

Über Member
Bought mine in December and like @bikingdad90 I've added mudguards and pannier rack and agree about the Tektro brakes but I've persevered and have managed to get them set up without having to constantly adjust them. The brakes are the worst thing about the bike and the one thing I'd still like to change, but now I've got them bedded in I'll probably put up with them.

It's not the lightest bike in the world and I had a few teething problems but Halfords sorted them out and, despite the brakes, I'm happy with mine after 1,500 miles.

looks to tick all the boxes (especially not requiring a new wheelset every year)

I've got the MX Comp ( very similar, but flat bar )
You're right in that it won't need a new wheelset every year, every week is closer to the mark:eek:.
But seriously, once I replaced all the cheap, cost cutting components ( the wheels and freehub in particular) it's a very nice bike. I would also replace all of the headset / handlebar bolts, as I've never seen bolts rust through as quickly as the original ones did.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
well i went to the local halfords today to see one in the tin, very nice looking and seemed very good money for value. they only had the 55cm in stock, but i was able to sit on it and they've ordered a 53cm version for me to get once the cycle2work scheme voucher comes through.

as the trusty carrera needs a new wheeset, a front mech (running on single speed at the front for now), and a new rear brake caliper, hope it can all be sorted sooner rather than later :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Be aware a Boardman 55cm isn't a 55cm in other brands, they take the size from the seat not top tube. I have a 53cm 2014 team which is a little bigger than my 54s

If using C2W you don't have to buy from Halfords, lots of independents take their vouchers so you have a full choice of brands, although the boardmans are good value

If you can hold off they may do the 20% off bikes event again? I got mine with the discount and then the tax/ni savings and final payment effectively making it bout 50% off

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Be aware a Boardman 55cm isn't a 55cm in other brands, they take the size from the seat not top tube. I have a 53cm 2014 team which is a little bigger than my 54s

If using C2W you don't have to buy from Halfords, lots of independents take their vouchers so you have a full choice of brands, although the boardmans are good value
bike sizing is a bit like ladies clothes sizes, from what i can gather ;)

i had a sit on the 55cm and from that deduced that the 53cm would be right; the trusty carrera has the same length top tube. the 50cm variant might be a bit small (it's for up to my 5'7" frame), whereas the 53 is for 5'5"-5'11", so i'm bang in the middle.

the posh bike pictured left is 48cm and fits perfectly; the geometry is a lot more aggressive than the other two though…
If you can hold off they may do the 20% off bikes event again? I got mine with the discount and then the tax/ni savings and final payment effectively making it bout 50% off

they only have 11 left 'in the world' i.e. in uk warehouse (53cm version anyway), so unlikely to end up in the sales…

having had a rim start to unpeal itself previously, i don't want a repeat; the bike needs lots of stuff and the frame is a 2004 vintage, so it's time to get a bike that is perfect for the commute i do…

I am 5ft 7in with a 29in inseam and had to switch the stem from 100mm to 80mm as the TTT is long. If I recall it is 55cm as opposed to other brands where it would be 53/54cm for the same size bike.

The seat tube, is more of a personal preference anyway. The reach and aggressiveness are more important. I fit anywhere between 48cm with a fair chunk of seatpost up to 55cm with little seatpost showing.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
I've got the MX Comp ( very similar, but flat bar )
You're right in that it won't need a new wheelset every year, every week is closer to the mark:eek:.
But seriously, once I replaced all the cheap, cost cutting components ( the wheels and freehub in particular) it's a very nice bike. I would also replace all of the headset / handlebar bolts, as I've never seen bolts rust through as quickly as the original ones did.
the rims on the cx are different; mavic not boardman branded…

david k

Hi
Which mudguards? I'm probably having some fitted on my 2014 Boardman tomorrow

Sorry I cannot remember, they were the only pair in the Halfords shop when I got the bike, had them fitted which didn't look great on the original tyres, but work really well with these tyres, I've since fitted them better and I think they look great, great winter bike and comfiest ride than my roady

Top Bottom