Boardman CX Team mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonf7

Regular
Hi,

Just looking at mudguards to winterise my CX Team a little. Anyone got an opinion or experience of fitting any of the following -

SKS Raceblade Pro XL - not sure they'll fit the front due to the brake cable routing? Photo below..

Crud Roadracer Mk3 - don't really like the idea of sticking something to the frame, but these seems to give good coverage and are easy to add/remove.

Axiom Roadrunner - proper mudguards, no problem at the back but comes with eyelets that fit to the front skewer although I can imagine removing the front wheel is then 'fun'. And I've got discs so the stays would need bending etc?

Or some other set of mudguards and then being creative at the front with p-clips?

Cheers

Simon

U

User6179

Hi,

Just looking at mudguards to winterise my CX Team a little. Anyone got an opinion or experience of fitting any of the following -

SKS Raceblade Pro XL - not sure they'll fit the front due to the brake cable routing? Photo below..

Crud Roadracer Mk3 - don't really like the idea of sticking something to the frame, but these seems to give good coverage and are easy to add/remove.

Axiom Roadrunner - proper mudguards, no problem at the back but comes with eyelets that fit to the front skewer although I can imagine removing the front wheel is then 'fun'. And I've got discs so the stays would need bending etc?

Or some other set of mudguards and then being creative at the front with p-clips?

Cheers

Simon

Lost count of how many times I have seen SKS raceblades or the Cruds come loose when out with others plus they still spray the rider behind as they tend to move about a little on bumpy roads .

If you have the mounts then proper mudguards ,I use the SKS longboards on my CX but I don't have disk brakes which can make them a pain to fit.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to halfords and have them fitted. Let them have the fun of trying multiple pairs. Or your lbs

Although I've not bothered, when I bought mine, the mechanic thought chromoplastics would fit. Proper mudguards. Cruds are ime exactly that! Flimsy, rub, bits drop off.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I have SKS reflective bluemels on mine, work very well. front is secured using an Elite VIP bottle cage strap mount. Had to get a bit imaginative with bending the mounting rods but easily done by hand.
sks front.JPG

sks mount.JPG
sks rear.JPG

OP
OP
simonf7

simonf7

Regular
Thanks, nice to see how someone else has fitted them - those clips look quite good.

Would much prefer proper mudguards as I'm hoping to commute at least once a week in the winter months.

Simon

G3CWI

Veteran
SKS Chromoplastics on mine. I have been bouncing around on all sorts of rough stuff and so far no problems. They seem quite robust. 42mm I think.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Thanks, nice to see how someone else has fitted them - those clips look quite good.

Would much prefer proper mudguards as I'm hoping to commute at least once a week in the winter months.

Simon

The front looked much nicer when I first fitted them last year, but a couple of falls, and clashes with toe overlap have seen to that. Despite my best efforts I have had no issues with them coming loose or anything else, money well spent for me as I commute year round.

OP
OP
simonf7

simonf7

Regular
Mudguards now fitted, used the Elite VIP bottle cage strap mounts on the front forks to give me the mounting points. Then bought SKS Commuter mudguards as although they only have one stay per mudguards the angle is easily changed so no bending of anything needed.

So far seem pretty sturdy having made one 40 mile round trip to work :-)

Attachments

• DSC_0987.JPG
    DSC_0987.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC_0988.JPG
    DSC_0988.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 529

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I have SKS reflective bluemels on mine, work very well. front is secured using an Elite VIP bottle cage strap mount. Had to get a bit imaginative with bending the mounting rods but easily done by hand.
View attachment 146245
View attachment 146246 View attachment 146247
Why not just cut the front stays?

When setting SKS guards up, I bolt everything up without the black plastic end sleeves, line up the guards then mark the stays for cutting/grinding with 5-10mm extra measured from a fixed point. The result is neat stays with little to no bending, that are also adjustable once you reassemble with the wee black sleeves on

darkangelv24

Just found this thread as have been looking for the same thing, really useful info.
Can i ask what width of guard you are all using with this set up, I currently have the stock tyres on (35c Rapid Robs), I see you can get the bluemels in 42 and 45 width, Is the frame wide enough to accommodate the 45s?? or will the 42's be sufficient?

vickster

Legendary Member
If anyone is interested...I've just had Halfords fit some SKS commuter mudguards to mine, a little rattly over rough ground but preferable to a mucky back and bum and wet feet :smile:

£25 fitted with a price match

Attachments

• IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    375.8 KB · Views: 451
Top Bottom