Boardman cx team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DavidD

The average bike is 50/11 ie higher. Never mind the much smaller steps between gears, all worth having.
50/12 on the road team bike which equates to 113.6 gear inches
44/10 on the cx which equates to 119.9 gear inches
So the cx has a higher top gear just has bigger jumps between the gears and at the end of the day how many gears do you really need

vickster

Legendary Member
50/12 on the road team bike which equates to 113.6 gear inches
44/10 on the cx which equates to 119.9 gear inches
So the cx has a higher top gear just has bigger jumps between the gears and at the end of the day how many gears do you really need
Not very many in Kingston-Upon-Thames :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was out with "Phil the Hill" and 4 others on new years eve and he was on his Cx team. When he arrived I took a look at the bike with the 38c tyres and thought "no probs keeping up with you".... How wrong was I :laugh:
I wanted to go out but wife was working , mind you phil has my number but never tells me when hes riding so i end up solo a lot :cursing:

OP
OP
D

DavidD

@DavidD, is it the same story at the lower end of the gearing? Albeit I guess pushing 30/30ish is easier than 40/40ish?
Yes it is, to start with 30/30 and 40/40 are both the same gear inch at 27.2.
Road bike lowest gear is 34/28 which is 33 gear inches
Cx bikes lowest gear is 44/42 which works out at 28.6 gear inches which is a lower gear than the road bike.
The thing is you have a good top gear and a low bottom gear and 9 usable gears in between.
The roadbike is a 20 speed bike but will have several gears that will be duplicated and possibly only have 15/16 usable gears so not much difference

Thanks, it's pretty much convincing me that this is what I want! Maybe not for some situations but for pootling and some railtrails along with maybe some light touring, it'd work.

OP
OP
D

DavidD

Thanks, it's pretty much convincing me that this is what I want! Maybe not for some situations but for pootling and some railtrails along with maybe some light touring, it'd work.
Yes I'm going to be using it as a do everything bike and as you say it won't cover all situations but it'll work for me, and it clearly works for "Phil the hill" also lol

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
View attachment 154811

Here's mine. Same model as yours but Fabric saddle, Look pedals, a set of Hunt 4-Season wheels and 28mm Conti 4-Season tyres. It's been firmly pressed into winter duties and is perfect for the job.
Hi I'm trying to fit the same mudguards to mine, did you need to use any parts that didn't come in the kit? None of the bolts seem to fit the rear wheel arch for attaching the guard holder.

Thanks

mooseracer

Guru
Hi I'm trying to fit the same mudguards to mine, did you need to use any parts that didn't come in the kit? None of the bolts seem to fit the rear wheel arch for attaching the guard holder.

Thanks

Yes, I had to use different bolts for some reason?

fixedfixer

Veteran
I've a much earlier Boardman CX. Great bike but now even better after some mods. It now runs Shimano 105 cranks and I've done away with that BB30 which continually caused grief. This can be done by adding a threaded insert into BB. Next was fitting Tiagra Shifters as I couldn't get used to the double tap thingy. Now an ace bike and really like it. Lowered front small ring to a 33 (smallest you can go on a 105 crankset) and added an 11 -34 at the rear. Plenty good on hills. :okay:

Top Bottom