Boardman cx team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidD

IMG_2138.JPG
Recently got a new boardman cx team bike and I'm wondering if there are many owners on here and how they have found them. And more importantly what upgrades and/or changes they have made to them.

David

grumpyoldwoman

That is very gorgeous. Think that would make a nice partner for my Boardman MX sport. N+1 and all that. Maybe in the new year........

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got the 2014. Just added a pannier rack, no room for mudguards too unfortunately . Also fitted a narrower handlebar and much thicker red 3.2mm lizardskins tape

Not sure what upgrades you need to make to a new bike? Mudguards? Bottle cage?

rockpig

Über Member
Nice bike!
I have the 2014 model and initially just changed the pedals and added bottle cages. Then added mudguards too (the attempt at fitting a front one was abandoned) and a pannier rack that is only ever fitted if I need the panniers. Oh, and I bought another set of wheels to have a set with road tyres.

vickster

Legendary Member
Very nice.

@vickster I have the 2014 Team also with a Topeak Rack and SKS mudguards also...
Thanks. Do you have a photo? With the stock knobbly tyres, there looks to be almost no space for mudguards under the rack? The lad at halfords concurred

It would be nice to have the option of mudguards but I'm not really a wet weather cyclist and the Genesis does have mudguards and the Whyte flatbar could take them if needed

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

G3CWI

Veteran
I have the same bike. I got it in September and have not ridden my expensive road bike once since I got the Boardman. I am now over 1,000 miles in and I can confidently say I have never had so much fun tearing about on any bike, ever. I even ended up devising an off-road commute which I look forward to every day.

Tips:
1. The break cable wears away the head-tube where it rubs so put plenty of tape on both to avoid problems.
2. The tyres are very puncture prone.
3. If you bounce about a lot off road with full bottles the riv-nuts on the bottle holders work loose (I'm talking about cycling flat-out over rough ground here).

Even on the chunky tyres it's pleasantly quick on the road too.

...apart from that it's rubbish so feel free to sell it to me cheap as a spare :okay:

Last edited:

david k

Hi
View attachment 153883 Recently got a new boardman cx team bike and I'm wondering if there are many owners on here and how they have found them. And more importantly what upgrades and/or changes they have made to them.

David

I have the silver one from a couple of years ago

Changed the tyres to 32s semi slick
Been meaning to change the handlebar mount the opposite way to lift it up
It's comfy, fast enough and good for long rides and fast rides alike

I love mine, enjoy

OP
OP
D

DavidD

That is very gorgeous. Think that would make a nice partner for my Boardman MX sport. N+1 and all that. Maybe in the new year........

Thanks its a nice bike.

Not sure what upgrades you need to make to a new bike? Mudguards? Bottle cage?

Wasn't really meaning upgrades was thinking tyres and pedals as some people seem to change these most

Very nice.

@vickster I have the 2014 Team also with a Topeak Rack and SKS mudguards also...
Would like to see the rack!

OP
OP
D

DavidD

Nice bike!
I have the 2014 model and initially just changed the pedals and added bottle cages. Then added mudguards too (the attempt at fitting a front one was abandoned) and a pannier rack that is only ever fitted if I need the panniers. Oh, and I bought another set of wheels to have a set with road tyres.
Thanks what pedals did you go for and the extra tyre and wheels idea is a cracker
Nice for the monies.
Thank you
I have the same bike. I got it in September and have not ridden my expensive road bike once since I got the Boardman. I am now over 1,000 miles in and I can confidently say I have never had so much fun tearing about on any bike, ever. I even ended up devising an off-road commute which I look forward to every day.

Tips:
1. The break cable wears away the head-tube where it rubs so put plenty of tape on both to avoid problems.
2. The tyres are very puncture prone.
3. If you bounce about a lot off road with full bottles the riv-nuts on the bottle holders work loose (I'm talking about cycling flat-out over rough ground here).

Even on the chunky tyres it's pleasantly quick on the road too.

...apart from that it's rubbish so feel free to sell it to me cheap as a spare :okay:
Thanks some good tips there I have only ever owned mountain bikes as an adult so comparing it to my mountain bike it is very fast

Top Bottom