Boardman Vs Specialized Vs Cannondale for commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haircut100

Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a new hybrid/commuter bike for my 10 mile each way commute. I've narrowed it down to the Boardman Urb 8.9 (£850) or the soon to be released Specialized Sirrus X 4.0 (£999). The main advantage of the Boardman seems to be the hub gearing (Shimano Alfine) but due to a strange rule with my cycle to work scheme, I will have to buy it mail order. I can pick the Specialized up in my local bike store which I would prefer. It has a 'Future shock' system built into the handlebar which I like the sound of too, but the gearing is the more traditional derailleur type. I will be doing about 5000 miles a year in all weathers so minimal maintenance appeals. I was in another shop today and their model of choice was the Cannondale Quick 1 (£999) which seems simar to the Specialized.
Could anyone help me out making a choice?
Thanks,
Paul

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you try them out?
Cycle Republic offer testrides and presumably your local shops do too :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There's a lot to be said for a hub gear on a commuter.

Less maintenance, and the chain will last longer because it is never derailed and the higher line keeps it out of the worst of the road dirt.

The chain is also slightly thicker than a multi-speed derailer one.

Gear range is not as wide, top tends to be high enough, but bottom may not be low enough for very steep hills - all depending on rider fitness, of course.

Another thing worth investigating is how the chain is tensioned.

A quick online look at the specs of the Boardman was not very instructive.

You won't need to tension the chain very often, but an eccentric bottom bracket can be a better system than sliding drop outs at the rear.

The snag with those can be the tyre clearance needed to move the wheel, particularly if you fit mudguards.

Oh, and don't forget you will probably need to carry a spanner for puncture repairs because all Shimano hubs have a nutted axle.

Yanking the tube out while the wheel is still on the bike is another option, but I reckon that's hard work, and in any case means you can't just pop in a spare tube which is easier than patching at the roadside.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-urb-8-9-mens-hybrid-bike-2020.html

OP
OP
H

Haircut100

Thanks. I don't mind the extra hassle when it comes to punctures. Could I ask what you mean by 'an eccentric bottom bracket can be a better system than sliding drop outs at the rear'. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with that terminology. Do I need special tools or a meter to tension the chain?

Venod

Eh up
The Boardman would be my choice for commuting, I ran a Rohloff on a MTB through a couple of winters, only maintenance a yearly oil change, no mud clogging etc, the only downside a weight penalty at the rear, not a problem on the road.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks. I don't mind the extra hassle when it comes to punctures. Could I ask what you mean by 'an eccentric bottom bracket can be a better system than sliding drop outs at the rear'. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with that terminology. Do I need special tools or a meter to tension the chain?

No special tools or meter usually needed.

The chain is tensioned in one of two ways.

Either by moving the rear wheel back a little or by twisting the bottom bracket/front ring in its mounting.

The mounting is deliberately not round, so the effect of twisting will be to move the ring forward a little.

Alternatively, the rear axle may be mounted in slots, so you loosen the nuts, move the axle/wheel in the slots, and tighten the nuts.

The good thing about hub gears is they don't wear chains, so you may not need to do it for many miles.

My hub gear bike has done 4,500 miles and I've not needed to tension the chain yet.

There is also a fair bit of acceptable range, so it won't matter if the chain becomes a little slacker, only if it becomes so slack it jumps.

I see you've ordered the Boardman.

It may not have an eccentric bottom bracket - it's the more expensive solution - but when you get it the way to tell is to upend the bike and have a look.

If it has an eccentric bottom bracket the shell where the cranks go through will have a couple of screws in it.

Plenty more info online, but this pic is worth a look.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
boardman bikes are always well specced at the price, but watch for cost savers in the ‘unseen’ areas; bottom bracket and headset bearings in particular. i’m sure you really enjoy riding it :smile:
my boardmans both have had no issues with either i think the issues with BB issues with PF 30 were as bad as any other brand initially , the one on my 2016 team carbon has never creaked .

Top Bottom