bodybuilding and cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Gym is good for core strength for cycling, but lifting heavy weights will kill the legs on recovery days. Depends upon your goals, if wanting to be a good all round cyclist, then I'd recommend dropping weight, but upping reps. Stamina is important in cycling.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Gym is good for core strength for cycling, but lifting heavy weights will kill the legs on recovery days. Depends upon your goals, if wanting to be a good all round cyclist, then I'd recommend dropping weight, but upping reps. Stamina is important in cycling.
Do you know the difference in light weight,high reps vs heavy,low reps?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do you know the difference in light weight,high reps vs heavy,low reps?

Other than I know heavy weights kill me the next couple of days, where lighter weight/higher reps don't to the same extent, and given I'm riding every day, not having dead legs after a session is best for me !

musa

Über Member
depends really - i used to gym before cycling but now upon returning home Ive stopped

just aim to do core strength if your happy with size - so press ups - (there are different techniques which I found useful) situps dips

or mixture of both - 5x5 stronglifts (give that a google) theres an iPhone app for it for logging your workouts

5 set of 5 reps and if you successfully complete that particular your increase by 2.5 or 5 kg depending on what the workout is

then lastly good diet - plenty of recovery foods I think this may be your answer

kayaker

Regular
I take it these comments regarding hypertrophy being linked to lack of intellect are in jest? Plenty of stupid skinny guys and there is nothing intelligent about being weak.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I take it these comments regarding hypertrophy being linked to lack of intellect are in jest? Plenty of stupid skinny guys and there is nothing intelligent about being weak.
Plenty of smart strong skinny guys and plenty of pigshit thick ripped guys too.

ps: have you met Drago?

Reactions: 4F

kayaker

Regular
Yes so bodysize and intellect are not related. Stephen hawkings has a medical condition which probably restricts him somewhat.
Plenty of memes regarding big guys being stupid (fat tall or muscular) and skinny guys being nerdy/geeks etc.

We are talking bodybuilding and not powerlifting. Strongest guys in powerlifting/weightlifting are bigger. Sure you can say strength to weight but that's not the strongest. Anyway this thread was about bodybuilding and not strength per se.

Depends what the OP is after, strength, hypertrophy a mix of both.

stephec

Legendary Member
No he's not, he's that copper off Allo Allo!

P.S. - Drago, don't go changing your avatar anytime soon, or I'm going to look like a right knob. :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
So does anyone go to the gym and cycle and make progress at both?
If so how do you balance using enough weight to shock the body for growth ans balance than with recovery for riding?
i used to, though I've moved more from bloody building into lifting for sport, but I still do a little sculpting work.

There's no secret, just keep at it and you'll adapt quickly. There will be days, especially early in and especially with legs, that soreness will be your faithful companion, but these will become less frequent and less intense. The first few times you might need to give in and drive.

Without paying too much attention to diet I gained 32kg of lean mass, and 18" on my chest.

Just make sure you're eating clean and keep at it.

MrC

You don't have to do body building routines to become strong and have definition. Body building routines just put muscle on. There's more to being functionally strong than that. Also, they tend to concentrate on isolation exercises on certsin muscle groups, but for real life complex compound movements are far more useful.
The dragondoor.com site has a whole bunch of useful resources on this, icluding how to be skinny strong

stephec

Legendary Member
You don't have to do body building routines to become strong and have definition. Body building routines just put muscle on. There's more to being functionally strong than that. Also, they tend to concentrate on isolation exercises on certsin muscle groups, but for real life complex compound movements are far more useful.
The dragondoor.com site has a whole bunch of useful resources on this, icluding how to be skinny strong

Compound movements are the basics of a good weights routine, for body building or general fitness.

Routines alone don't put muscle on either, a good routine and lots of the right food is the key.

Top Bottom