FNRttC Bognor, Friday, April 27, 2018

Do you want to do this ride?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I've been called reckless before but after reading the e-mail I may not even use the waterproof sun block.
Sun block? :sad:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oh the shame....

It started well. Well, mostly well. I made one error of judgement before leaving the house and that was choosing the highly reflective Proviz 360 over the black as night Paramo. Well in my defence, the forcast showed mildly moist and temperatures almost shorts level.

Despite my irrational fear of train-usage, @Salty seadog was kind enough to organise a ticket and met me at the station. Sandwiches were grabbed at M&S in St.P station and a short sprint found us at the allotted start in good time for the briefing.

Routing was to Parliment Square, Battersea to Clapham, Tooting common, Mitcham Carshalton and the long climb to Coulsdon and the never ending drizzly ascent of Downs road.
The first signs were just before Battersea bridge with the first of 4 punctures sustained before the dey solace at the scout hut around 35 miles. Bob. C was good enough to have his puncture in parallel with somebody else so saving time! Chapeau!
But the frequent stopping and starting through the London Traffic, waiting for the punctured, the lack of weather protection and warmth from the Proviz, and the constant peering through rain covered glases were slowly doing me in. Normally I laugh in the face of rain, but this night I lost my sense of humour.

By the time we made the fab scout-hut feast I was cold and soaked. It was 0415 and only 35 miles of progress had been made. A quick look at a map showed thst Bognor was still far whilst Gatwick trainage was very close-by.
It was a no-brainer. 6 others had the same thoughts.
Now on a train to St. P and home.

My first ever bail. Last September not only did I ride to Bognor, but then on to Deal via the coast for a PB of 220 miles. Today will be 40.
C’est la vie.

Big thanks to @mmmmartin @GrumpyGregry @rb58 and @sagefly for Tec duties.

Thanks also to everyone else for the super-usual Friday’s Bonhomie, and Dan for trainage assistance.

On the plus-side, the FNRttC mudflaps front and rear work a treat!

The learning from all this is: If rain be forcast.... wear the Paramo....

Last edited:

Tim Hall

I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too Thursday I don't care about you
It's Friday I'm in Love
That sounds like a good slogan for a cycling cap.

robjh

Legendary Member
Well, that was a wet ride that was. We had RAIN, we had seeping COLD and DAMP toes. We had MUD, and a CYCLOCROSS section. We had BREAKFAST by the SEA. We had moments of DESPAIR, and we had FUN. It was another classic Fridays ride and I would do it all again, although had you asked me this morning at 4am I might have answered differently. Many thanks to @mmmartin and team for organising it.

A few photos to remind you all
IMG_20180428_020833.jpg
IMG_20180428_084359.jpg
IMG_20180428_082422.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Thanks for the organisation and lead @mmmmartin and the 3 amigos at the back @rb58 @sagefly & @GrumpyGregry (someone tell him ....).

Another good halfway stop .a nice symbiotic relationship just as with the church hall on the Whitstable ride.

The weather was with us and it was wet, not too chilly but I bailed at the halfway point with a small band of deserters towards Gatwick and home . My spirit was not broken but my drive train was going waftey and I was having shifting problems. Spent well over an hour on it at home but reckon it's gonna be a new cable at least , hope the fd hasn't taken a whack as it was behaving badly.

I also learnt that @Fab Foodie is not so keen on the train system.

Until next time :okay:

Top Bottom