Boiler problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, and the other thing that struck me ... An old, badly maintained boiler is probably costing a lot more to run than a good new one would, so the cost of the new one might well be saved in lower bills over the lifetime of the new boiler?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks brains - I did try to vacuum some of the crud but a domestic vacuum is too big.

I tend to think it's a problem of muck.

I stress that the main boiler runs blue.

Thanks for the local bod tip - recieved your PM.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Oh, and the other thing that struck me ... An old, badly maintained boiler is probably costing a lot more to run than a good new one would, so the cost of the new one might well be saved in lower bills over the lifetime of the new boiler?
not the amount of gas I use colin.
Octopus energy queried my last reading as it seemed so low :smile:

Brains

Legendary Member
Thanks brains - I did try to vacuum some of the crud but a domestic vacuum is too big.

I tend to think it's a problem of muck.

I stress that the main boiler runs blue.

Thanks for the local bod tip - recieved your PM.

Go to the local pet shop - get 3 meters of plastic tubing as used in fish tanks
Get a suitably sized small plastic bottle and cut the bottom off it
Gaffa fish tube to top of bottle
Attach bottle to vacuum cleaner hose
You then have the worlds most powerful vacuum suction device (or blower)

(What gives you the impression I have done this before)

classic33

Leg End Member
Go to the local pet shop - get 3 meters of plastic tubing as used in fish tanks
Get a suitably sized small plastic bottle and cut the bottom off it
Gaffa fish tube to top of bottle
Attach bottle to vacuum cleaner hose
You then have the worlds most powerful vacuum suction device (or blower)

(What gives you the impression I have done this before)
Slight variation. Tape most of the nozzle up, then use that to clean it.

Duc gas

Über Member
Your saucier duval is probably a roomsealed boiler, therefore you won't be able to clean the pilot light without removing the casing. To do this you need to be gas safe registered. The pilot light will start going out because the flame won't heat the thermocouple and will switch off safely. Unfortunately Saunier Duval have a poor reputation in the gas engineer world and you have done well to have kept it working. You have probably been advised well to consider a change of boiler..... 40 years experience with these things.... good luck

ColinJ

not the amount of gas I use colin.
Octopus energy queried my last reading as it seemed so low :smile:
You are lucky to live in a warmer house (or love the cold!). One of the problems with being in an old, poorly-insulated end-terrace property is how much gas I have to use to take the chill off it. I heated one room to 19 degrees and the rest of the house to way less than that and it was still costing me £4 a day in gas last winter! I think this coming winter I will turn the heating off everywhere except this room (bar freezing conditions) and keep this one at 16-17 degrees.

classic33

Leg End Member
You are lucky to live in a warmer house (or love the cold!). One of the problems with being in an old, poorly-insulated end-terrace property is how much gas I have to use to take the chill off it. I heated one room to 19 degrees and the rest of the house to way less than that and it was still costing me £4 a day in gas last winter! I think this coming winter I will turn the heating off everywhere except this room (bar freezing conditions) and keep this one at 16-17 degrees.
You might need more heating, not less this year.

ColinJ

You might need more heating, not less this year.
Oh, super... I assume that there is a long range forecast of a bitter winter!

Looks like I will have to double up on the thermals this time.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Your saucier duval is probably a roomsealed boiler, therefore you won't be able to clean the pilot light without removing the casing. To do this you need to be gas safe registered. The pilot light will start going out because the flame won't heat the thermocouple and will switch off safely. Unfortunately Saunier Duval have a poor reputation in the gas engineer world and you have done well to have kept it working. You have probably been advised well to consider a change of boiler..... 40 years experience with these things.... good luck
thanks for the reply.
Can I ask what you mean by "roomsealed" ?

it vents to the outside of the house.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
can't edit/add to last post for some reason.

so another question here.

Are you saying that if the pilot goes out the gas supply will be cut?

I must say I had the idea that this was a standard safety procedure.

Levo-Lon

Guru
thanks for the reply.
Can I ask what you mean by "roomsealed" ?

it vents to the outside of the house.

The fact your asking that tells me your a danger to yourself.

It means its sealed, and should only be serviced by a gas safe engineer.
If it causes harm to anyone you're the one doing time, its that simple

Crack on...if that's what you want to do..I'll leave you too it now as you wont listen to any safety advice.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The fact your asking that tells me your a danger to yourself.

It means its sealed, and should only be serviced by a gas safe engineer.
If it causes harm to anyone you're the one doing time, its that simple

Crack on...if that's what you want to do..I'll leave you too it now as you wont listen to any safety advice.

I can assure you that I have no intention of dismantling a boiler.

I am only asking these questions so that I can ascertain some basic facts and so don't get spun a line.

Re the point upthread, British Gas were not doing me a favour/looking out for my safety by suggesting that I buy a new one from them.

All was hunky dory at that point. No issues at all.

Top Bottom