Boiler problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
can't edit/add to last post for some reason.

so another question here.

Are you saying that if the pilot goes out the gas supply will be cut?

I must say I had the idea that this was a standard safety procedure.
That's what the thermocouple is for, assuming it doesn't fail in the open posistion. If it does fail, it should normally go cold, cutting the gas supply to both the pilot light and the main burner.

I can assure you that I have no intention of dismantling a boiler.

I am only asking these questions so that I can ascertain some basic facts and so don't get spun a line.

Re the point upthread, British Gas were not doing me a favour/looking out for my safety by suggesting that I buy a new one from them.

All was hunky dory at that point. No issues at all.
Use the Gas Safe Register to find a local independent engineer who is registered to carry out domestic work. They shouldn't have any problem explaining what's wrong with the boiler.
If that engineer tells you the boiler is at the end of its life for heaven's sake listen to him ( or her).
Simple.

classic33

Leg End Member
For anyone thinking about keeping the same gas appliance or replace it, and think you're having a hard sell to replace the appliance, not repair. A simple test you can use, put the make and model through a search engine. Then check for availability of parts.

If they're non existant, as spares, with minor parts expensive, advice would be to replace. What will fail next. Thermocouples aside.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Blue Hills reading this thread makes me worry for your safety!
Get a trusted local gas certified engineer in asp - I agree with your opinion on BG btw.
You can ask for a recommendation in your local FB group, or ask local friends, anyhow, you got one from a CChatter, that should do.
I get my 2002 boiler (soft water here) serviced every July, there are many things that need checked.
It's true that you cannot hoover it yourself, hoovering is not the only thing that may need done.

gbb

Legendary Member
The British Gas opinion is slightly unfortunate...my son is a BG engineer :laugh:

But...I've heard horror stories about I ndependents trying to oversell, condemn boilers etc..BG will provide you with a very comprehensive care plan, but it comes at a cost.
Friend of mine had boiler problems circa 12 years ago, it was noisy. Independent company wanted to tear it all out and start again. I convinced her to get it serviced, new pump....its still going now.
Equally BG isnt stupid. They wont take on service contracts with old boilers that are hard to get parts for...why would they, it's just not good business. Equally, they only fit good boilers, reliable ones they wont have to keep coming back to...good business sense that does trickle back to the customer.
Equally an independent may well fit the cheapest boiler they can because they're probably not coming back...and cheapest certainly isnt best.
None of the above is concrete in outcomes, you pays your money....
My advice to anyone who is thinking about a new boiler..do the homrework on reliability etc...anyone trying to sell you one, cheap or expensive, will praise it....but you're only taking their word for it.

Duc gas

Über Member
The British Gas opinion is slightly unfortunate...my son is a BG engineer :laugh:

But...I've heard horror stories about I ndependents trying to oversell, condemn boilers etc..BG will provide you with a very comprehensive care plan, but it comes at a cost.
Friend of mine had boiler problems circa 12 years ago, it was noisy. Independent company wanted to tear it all out and start again. I convinced her to get it serviced, new pump....its still going now.
Equally BG isnt stupid. They wont take on service contracts with old boilers that are hard to get parts for...why would they, it's just not good business. Equally, they only fit good boilers, reliable ones they wont have to keep coming back to...good business sense that does trickle back to the customer.
Equally an independent may well fit the cheapest boiler they can because they're probably not coming back...and cheapest certainly isnt best.
None of the above is concrete in outcomes, you pays your money....
My advice to anyone who is thinking about a new boiler..do the homrework on reliability etc...anyone trying to sell you one, cheap or expensive, will praise it....but you're only taking their word for it.

Just to add that many customers have gone the route of replacing a poor boiler i.e. Saunier duval with an even poorer new, cheap ,boiler from the likes of your multi national diy stores. When they go wrong and they do ,the parts costs are through the roof. My advice as above is to spend more and look at Worcester or valiant, there are plenty around so your local engineers will have more experience with them and they have very good manufacturer backup.

By the way, all boilers are designed to fail to safety i.e. A poor pilot flame will not heat a thermocouple enough, this will cause the gas valve to shut off the gas suply. The problems start when people remove sealed casings and don't check the seals integrity when re-fitting, they are no longer "room sealed" and could leak products of combustion into the property.Think what if something goes wrong and a member of your family gets overcome with fumes, how would you live with the consequences??

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I can assure you that I have no intention of dismantling a boiler.

I am only asking these questions so that I can ascertain some basic facts and so don't get spun a line.

Re the point upthread, British Gas were not doing me a favour/looking out for my safety by suggesting that I buy a new one from them.

All was hunky dory at that point. No issues at all.
I would disagree. A fully qualified engineer has an obligation to warn you of impending problems. If the age of the boiler means that servicing and spare parts are getting harder to do and source the no matter who they work for they have to advise you accordingly. Right up to the point where, if necessary they condemn the boiler and switch it off at the gas supply point.

Hicky

Guru
Ask on local fb pages etc for GS engineer. I had a 10yr warranty baxi platinum boiler fitted in my last house(rented out) by a local for £1400. I expect it to give issues in less than that.
I have a working knowledge of them meaning, don’t fiddle.
New house is a back boiler on a quaint(ugly) fire but it’s been trouble free for 23yrs. I know as I know the engineer who serviced it oddly.
Unless you use a fair amount of gas the saving returns aren't huge it’s more of a safety/convenience issue.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Oh, and the other thing that struck me ... An old, badly maintained boiler is probably costing a lot more to run than a good new one would, so the cost of the new one might well be saved in lower bills over the lifetime of the new boiler?

Our boiler is about 22 years old and the boiler man advise is "don't change it while you can still find spares for it as the new boilers have a short life span.... and while they are a little more efficient it doesn't pay to change it" We have needed to buy spares for it 4 times in the last 20+ years.... one expensive part at £300 two parts between £60 - £90 and one for £12..... so I can't complain. He was saying that companies nowadays build boilers to go wrong after 5 or 6 years and while before you could change a small component now you have to get a much bigger part that incorporates the part that you need to change at a bigger cost..... this seems to be a common thing with washing machines, dishwashers, tumbled dryers, etc.

Also, get yourself a good independent boiler maintenance man and stay away from those BG guys.

Good luck.

Mrs M

Guru
Our old Worcester boiler (no not the MIL!) was serviced annually on a BG contract.
Pilot light periodically went out and, like yours very hard to relight.
Problem was highlighted every year and never solved, until one engineer took some kind of plate out and it was cracked. This had been slipping on occasion and putting out the pilot light.
Boiler immediately condemned as the part was now obsolete :angry:
Que visit from BG salesman which lasted over 3 hours :cry:
We used a local firm to replace the boiler, saving £££’s and now our service contract is with Worcester.
A new boiler would methinks be much more efficient and safer.

Top Bottom