Bollo’s futile dispute with UPS

Final Score - Bollo vs UPS

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You must pursue this. They must be exposed. If it were genuine , it’d be easy for them to pull up the relevant details on a screen somewhere.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm ready to chip in my 5p to the fighting fund!

Free the CC one!

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The commodity code goes into the intrastat returns that all companies in the EU who import/export have to fill in. You can look up the code here https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/find_commodity

Have you been stung by the country of origin rules, although sourced from the EU, it might be they were built outside the EU in china and sometimes where it is over a certain percentage a duty applies.
Already done before I even placed the order, so avoid exactly this situation. The link for a bike light commodity code (I believe) is here...

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8512200030?country=DE#import

Should be 0% from the EU and 2% from the rest of the world.

As I've said, Lupine make a BIG THING of their German manufacture, but one of my emails back also shows that, even if you do the sums with maximum duty as stated in their initial reply, the numbers still don't approach what they're asking.

https://www.lupine.de/about_lupine/... than,standards of performance and durability.

Have you asked Lupine what code they used? It is entirely possible that they used the wrong one as there will not be too many people importing that product to the UK.

That's my plan today just to close that loop, but unless they've accidentally picked a completely exotic code for something that has exceptionally high duty like booze then it's unlikely that's the cause for the reason I've given above.

Alex321

Veteran
There is duty payable on the light, but it should only be 2% (code 8512).

VAT is chargeable on the total final price, including that duty and any shipping fees, not just on the price of the goods. So it should be slightly more than your calculations, but not much. Certainly not as much as the £85 they listed.

260.50 Euros = 217.78 GBP
4.36 Duty
11.35 brokerage

total for VAT
£233.49

VAT = £46.70

total government fees = £49.06

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Unless you are in Northern Ireland, the 2% applies from the EU as well, since 1st January 2022.
From the government's own calculator and using a sensible exchange rate and assuming the light meets rules of origin (which I believe it does).
1643191879438.png

Even if not and Lupine haven't satisfied the ROO paperwork requirements.....

1643191942786.png

Neither of which look much like £85.

The options are a dramatic mistake by Lupine when booking the delivery (possible, but all the associated paperwork from them has been clear and correct) or UPS are dipping their fingers. A quick internet search suggests a certain carelessness.

I'd better get back to work or there'll be no more money for bikes.

Alex321

Veteran
From the government's own calculator and using a sensible exchange rate and assuming the light meets rules of origin (which I believe it does).
View attachment 628225

Even if not and Lupine haven't satisfied the ROO paperwork requirements.....

View attachment 628226

Neither of which look much like £85.

The options are a dramatic mistake by Lupine when booking the delivery (possible, but all the associated paperwork from them has been clear and correct) or UPS are dipping their fingers. A quick internet search suggests a certain carelessness.

I'd better get back to work or there'll be no more money for bikes.
I was basing my responses on what it says here https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty combined with looking up bicycle lights.

It cost more than £135, so customs duty is payable. BTW, there is a form there to fill in and claim if you think you have been charged too much.

My total came to a little more than yours because I used the XE rate of exchange. But even so, I agree, it is nowhere near the £85.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hang in there and continue the good fight.

I think you will get sorted by UPS tbh.

You had 100% sympathy from me although I had to dock you a few % points due to you positing that Leftie Bumwipe as a potential 'mediator'. 😁

I rule out the Guardian first. I suspect your attributes and the product does not cover their agenda. I will also rule out the remaining 3.

If you keep at it, they will give you a goodwill refund. Don't bother going to the Small Claims Court. Like all the big boys, they will not turn to defend themselves, you will get default judgement. They will not respond to the judgement so you have to apply for the bailiff to personally turn up at their premises. And they promptly issue the bailiff the check.

By that time, to get back £85 - £46, you would have lost many time that value in angst, time and effort.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I rule out the Guardian first. I suspect your attributes and the product does not cover their agenda. I will also rule out the remaining 3.

UPS gets in the way of a hard working man to continue his green commute? Chairman of UPS, exposed as a buddy of…

Top Bottom