Bollo’s futile dispute with UPS

Final Score - Bollo vs UPS

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I rule out the Guardian first. I suspect your attributes and the product does not cover their agenda. I will also rule out the remaining 3.

If you keep at it, they will give you a goodwill refund. Don't bother going to the Small Claims Court. Like all the big boys, they will not turn to defend themselves, you will get default judgement. They will not respond to the judgement so you have to apply for the bailiff to personally turn up at their premises. And they promptly issue the bailiff the check.

By that time, to get back £85 - £46, you would have lost many time that value in angst, time and effort.
Yes - probably - but it makes the point and you can claim your expenses

and by the bailiffs turning up it gets to the attention of the senior people of the problems and, if you want to get really awkward you could see if you can get the local newpaper to do an article. If you get lucky and it is a slow news day they might just put you on the front page!!!
just practise your "compo face" - as they say around here

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The commodity code goes into the intrastat returns that all companies in the EU who import/export have to fill in. You can look up the code here https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/find_commodity

Have you been stung by the country of origin rules, although sourced from the EU, it might be they were built outside the EU in china and sometimes where it is over a certain percentage a duty applies.
I know that a lot of this has already been covered, but this is a bike light and the maximum Customs duty on this is only 2% or £4.30. UPS would have needed to charge 20% duty or paid the VAT twice for this over charge so I'm fully with @Bollo on this, especially as he's done his research before buying which a lot of private (and some small commercial) importers don't seem to bother with.

I deal with a lot of imports & exports and am dealing with an Amazon 'FBA' seller that currently owes around £15k due to trying to use the wrong code (underpaying duty by 12%) before their goods will be released, so it goes both ways.

steverob

Guru
You had 100% sympathy from me although I had to dock you a few % points due to you positing that Leftie Bumwipe as a potential 'mediator'. 😁
I rule out the Guardian first. I suspect your attributes and the product does not cover their agenda. I will also rule out the remaining 3.
Regardless of your feelings towards the politics of the Grauniad, they do have an exceptionally good consumer affairs team who have managed to get refunds / apologies from businesses who have done their customers a wrong 'un, so don't rule that out as a solid option.

Check out the column "Your Problems, with Anna Tims" for examples. Though in typical Grauniad style, for ages they did not put a comma in that sentence, meaning wags in the comments would always be saying "but I don't have any problems with Anna Tims..."

winjim

Smash the cistern
Regardless of your feelings towards the politics of the Grauniad, they do have an exceptionally good consumer affairs team who have managed to get refunds / apologies from businesses who have done their customers a wrong 'un, so don't rule that out as a solid option.

Check out the column "Your Problems, with Anna Tims" for examples. Though in typical Grauniad style, for ages they did not put a comma in that sentence, meaning wags in the comments would always be saying "but I don't have any problems with Anna Tims..."
Your problem's with the subeditors.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
A reply from Lupine and oh my, do I think my email to them lost a lot in translation! As I can't speak a word of German I can't be too critical, but I was merely asking them to confirm that they'd stated the value of the goods correctly to UPS when setting up the delivery. I have a German neighbour who's English wife is also fluent, so I might go and ask one of them to translate the next attempt before I send it.

Still nothing further from UPS. It's almost like they don't care 🥺

si_c

Guru
A reply from Lupine and oh my, do I think my email to them lost a lot in translation! As I can't speak a word of German I can't be too critical, but I was merely asking them to confirm that they'd stated the value of the goods correctly to UPS when setting up the delivery. I have a German neighbour who's English wife is also fluent, so I might go and ask one of them to translate the next attempt before I send it.
:laugh:
Still nothing further from UPS. It's almost like they don't care 🥺
It's not that they don't care, its just that you're not a customer so they are uninvested in your happiness and disinterested in your experience.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Ooooh, something like progress. I'd been emailing the UPS address they'd given me with regular reminders that I wasn't going away. I'd also managed to track down a not well-publicised customer services email, although I've no idea if this is correct or active. Anyways, my last email was cc'ed to this address and made it clear that I was happy to spread the joy, including a trip to small claims if they didn't at least engage with me. I had an email straight back from 'Jayson', my so far silent contact to say the query had been passed on to 'billing'. Now I thought I was already dealing with 'billing', but at least I have a new email to try. UPS email addresses are like Pokemon - gotta catch 'em all!

All uphill

Still rolling along
@Bollo - if you're stuck the UK CEO's details are here - e-mail address, landline and mobile number :okay:

https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9582&c=UPS UK-President

It's also got a link for Customer Services e-mail and phone number, but I'm already presuming you've got those.
Always a good place to take your woes.

Companies may say that they put the customer first, but it's the CEO who can really make their lives uncomfortable!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Always a good place to take your woes.

Companies may say that they put the customer first, but it's the CEO who can really make their lives uncomfortable!

Part of the problem is CEOs rarely read their own emails as they have so many that arrive every day.

Unless specific issues get escalated up the chain for them to deal with, There is a higher than likely chance that their secretary or PA will see the emails and delete them as they arent a priority unless its a strongly worded email followed by a threat of legal action at the end. But even then, the secretary/PA may choose to pass it on to their legal dept directly to deal with before making the CEO aware of whats going on at a later date if the issue cannot be resolved. A lot of stuff gets handled behind the scenes as CEOs usually have other things to focus on. Like shareholder meetings, Golf or fishing with the president/prime minister, sailing around on their expensive yachts soaking up some sun and sipping cocktails. :whistle::whistle:

Its worth a shot as it doesnt take a whole lot of time to fire off an email. (even if it does get ignored) :laugh:

Top Bottom