Bonj's thoughts on a better technical section

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
trustysteed said:
perhaps you could ask the moderators to volunteer for this task so they could spend more time housekeeping and less time being draconian crazed with power?:smile:

So, on the one hand you want Mods to micro-manage what thread goes where, but you don't them spending time being power-crazy?

TheDoctor said:
So, on the one hand you want Mods to micro-manage what thread goes where, but you don't them spending time being power-crazy?
I think Bonj wants Total Control so that things are tidy, in the right place and just as he likes them. I bet he's stroking a white Persian even as I type. Once he's finished cataloging his CD collection and arranging everything in his house in order of size, price and date purchased.

Noodley

Wait a minute! How did I get involved in this? And how on earth did the Bonj/Noodley combo come about? xx(:smile:

I'm quite happy with my infrequent and ignored garbled protestations of a modicum of some order.....now leave me alone.

Noodley said:
Wait a minute! How did I get involved in this? And how on earth did the Bonj/Noodley combo come about? xx(:smile:

I'm quite happy with my infrequent and ignored garbled protestations of a modicum of some order.....now leave me alone.
NO! You're shaking the tree of power hoping that some of the monkeys will fall out! Away with you, you power-crazed loon!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Noodley said:

See #39. I based my presumption on that and apologise for distress caused. Go and lie down with a white hanky on your forehead and a decent glass of malt in your trembling hand and things will look up again.

Noodley

Chuffy said:
NO! You're shaking the tree of power hoping that some of the monkeys will fall out! Away with you, you power-crazed loon!

fair point. I'll go.....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chuffy said:
Couldn't agree more chuffers, Noodley doesn't do 'modicums', they're for wimps :smile:

bonj2

Andy in Sig said:
I think a good idea would be for Bonj to give his best shot at designing however many supplemetary fora he thinks necessary and most crucially, their accompanying guidelines. He could then put these to Shaun privately. Once they had agreed on something publishable it could be introduced. Perhaps, given the demands on Shaun's time, he could hand over the detailed implementation to Bonj/Noodley and anybody else who thinks the idea a worthy one.

Or maybe, people who want to could be given mandate to introduce their OWN sub forum.
It would be made clear that it would be their sub forum, so that people know that the creativity behind it is the responsibility of a certain person and cannot be blamed on cyclechat management as a whole. Equally, however, they would be expected to mod it themselves, and if the overall mods feel they are not doing a suitable job of modding it, then they would be warned, and maybe overridden.
If the overall mods have to step in too often, then that person would probably have their sub forum taken off them.
If the overall mods did step in, it would have to be with a lighter touch than they would use on the general CC forums, as the intention would have to be solely to remove anything that really can't go - for instance spam, libel etc, rather than to shape the way CC is intended to be. On a specific person's sub forum, CC management can wash their hands of 'the way it's intended to be shaped' to whoever's sub forum it is.
On the other hand, the modding that the sub forum owner applies may be MORE draconian than the general CC forums, which may be the decisive thing that shapes the character of that sub forum and may be what I see as what could make or break it.
Users can report in the same way they do now, but they have the option of either reporting to the sub forum owner, or escalating to the real mods.

bonj2 said:
Or maybe, people who want to could be given mandate to introduce their OWN sub forum.
It would be made clear that it would be their sub forum, so that people know that the creativity behind it is the responsibility of a certain person and cannot be blamed on cyclechat management as a whole. Equally, however, they would be expected to mod it themselves, and if the overall mods feel they are not doing a suitable job of modding it, then they would be warned, and maybe overridden.
If the overall mods have to step in too often, then that person would probably have their sub forum taken off them.
If the overall mods did step in, it would have to be with a lighter touch than they would use on the general CC forums, as the intention would have to be solely to remove anything that really can't go - for instance spam, libel etc, rather than to shape the way CC is intended to be. On a specific person's sub forum, CC management can wash their hands of 'the way it's intended to be shaped' to whoever's sub forum it is.
On the other hand, the modding that the sub forum owner applies may be MORE draconian than the general CC forums, which may be the decisive thing that shapes the character of that sub forum and may be what I see as what could make or break it.
Users can report in the same way they do now, but they have the option of either reporting to the sub forum owner, or escalating to the real mods.

Then start your own forum. Or pay for Shaun to employ a team of lawyers to run the 'new and improved' MkII Cycle Chat.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
bonj2 said:

Sounds like you need to start your own website bonj- you can't expect to have control over someone else's concept gaining all the benefits of the site created by Shaun over the years having expending time and expense setting up CC and keeping it running every day.

Top Bottom