Bored facts that you have found out while in lock down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
The best before date on my Marmite is February 2013. It's not poisoned me seven years later so what's the point of putting one on?

Best before vs use by.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
New combi-boilers are fecking expensive..........
I'll admit, I kind-of knew this before lock-down, but didn't really appreciate it fully till now.

A not entirely unrelated fact is that shaving in cold water is not pleasant.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I found out that Bernard Cribbins is 91 now, and was originally from Oldham.

I also learned from watching over 450 minutes of Richard Osman's House of Games that Chemmy Alcott and David O'Doherty are both surprisingly dim.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
New combi-boilers are fecking expensive..........
I'll admit, I kind-of knew this before lock-down, but didn't really appreciate it fully till now.

A not entirely unrelated fact is that shaving in cold water is not pleasant.
Hmm... My sister owns 2 properties in Todmorden. I am renting this one off her, and she owns another one whose combi-boiler packed up last year 1 year out of warranty. It needed to be replaced, which was an expensive job!

I was standing having a pee yesterday when the heating kicked in and water suddenly started dripping down onto me! I looked up to see it coming out of the boiler. It is an identical boiler to the other faulty one and I bet it is the same fault (corrosion rotting through the heat exchanger from the inside, probably due to somebody not putting corrosion inhibitor in the sealed system?).

It is from the central heating part of the boiler. I don't really need the heating on now the weather is warming up and the hot water system is currently functioning ok so there isn't an urgent need to find a lockdown-busting tradesman. It will need fixing before the autumn though. I haven't told my sister yet - she won't be happy!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
To be fair, ours is about 15yrs old, and we've been expecting it to shuffle off this mortal heat-exchange coil for a while.
Plumber quoted best part of £500 for new parts this time, so not cost effective to repair.

Just been to pick up a new one for fitting tomorrow.... Also just had the furlough conversation with my boss, as of next week I'm on forced gardening leave.... now if only I had a garden ::whistle:

Top Bottom