Boris's Bike Watch...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It is for a regular cyclist, but we have to remember the idea of these bikes is to get non-cyclists onto bikes - people who probably last rode a bike when they were a kid, 20 years ago. Regular cyclists will set off in 2nd and then ride everywhere in 3rd, but I know some users who fall into the above category who use 1st for things like Rosebery Avenue.

I think the gear for 3rd is too long. It's always a struggle to keep it going and 2nd is just spinny.

Shrimp_Stu

Spotted at Charles II Street this morning (and also on my way home at 1800) - the first Boris Bike Racer.....I was tempted to dock my bike and take this one out...........

photo32.jpg

Origamist

Legendary Member
Mayoral Questions September:

Question No: 2895 / 2010

Caroline Pidgeon

Since the launch of the Cycle Hire scheme, how many bikes have gone missing per month?

Answer from the Mayor

Up to 7 September 2010, a total of 15 cycles were recorded as not having being returned to the scheme.

Cycles can initially appear lost or stolen because they have not been docked properly and in many cases, cycles which are reported lost or stolen to the police have been "found" again and redeployed.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Mayoral Questions September

Cycle Hire at mainline train stations (1)

Question No: 2769 / 2010

Jenny Jones

Are you considering plans to urgently expand the number of hire bikes available near mainline railways stations and do you regret your delay in installing sufficient bikes to meet the high demand?

Answer from the Mayor

Given the high demand that has already been demonstrated near mainline rail stations, it confirms the findings of the feasibility study for a central London cycle hire scheme: that there is not sufficient space to satisfy the level of demand that exists at such locations.

Nonetheless TfL is working closely with Network Rail to secure the space necessary to accommodate Barclays Cycle Hire docking stations near mainline railway stations to meet some of this demand and is also investigating innovative solutions to service such docking stations.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Mayoral Questions September:

Question No: 2908 / 2010

Caroline Pidgeon

Please can you tell me how many people have been overcharged to date for the cycle hire scheme, and how many people have been reimbursed? What is the total value for the overcharges?

Answer from the Mayor

A total of 2,700 Barclays Cycle Hire members were incorrectly charged twice with a total value of £20,500. All affected users have now had their chosen payment cards refunded in full.

Tynan

Veteran
I've read that the third gear is too low, I can only imagine that I had two odd bikes because on both I found third to be something I'd pull away in, second maybe for starting on a hill, first almost hurt me it was so invisible, what are the three gear ratios?

I se a lot of people in suits etc trying to get them to go faster and looking disgruntled, with three gears I think they could have managed a better selection, what on earth is first for?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I never use third :tongue: mainly because I use them whilst in my suit and I don't want to be a sweaty bastard when I get to my destination

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I've read that the third gear is too low, I can only imagine that I had two odd bikes because on both I found third to be something I'd pull away in, second maybe for starting on a hill, first almost hurt me it was so invisible, what are the three gear ratios?

According to current CTC 'Cycle' ratios are 38*23. The Shimano hub gives approx gearings of 32, 43 & 57 inches.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I only use them once or twice a week when work takes me to London for meetings. So I ride in office clothes with, at this time of year, a scarf, hat and gloves. If you are riding copenhagen stylee and dress for the destination not the journey the gearing is fine imo though I accept 1st is on the low side. Chillax, sit up and enjoy the ride and smile. I agree with Tynan's comments re pedals and steering but it all gets easier to use if you take it easy.

I ride by the see, be seen and don't let anything try to overtake you close philosophy. This of course means needing little bursts of power in traffic but never really getting going. I found gears 2 and 3 to be perfect for that sort or riding. 3 is way too low for getting up any sort of speed and plain embarrassing on downhills. I was overtaken by a guy in a suit riding a Brompton which is of course far more long legged but, I would suggest, designed with similar journeys in mind.

A

Top Bottom