Boris's Bike Watch...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Well I complained to TfL and got a commendably prompt reply:

Dear Mr. Mclaughlin,

Thank you for your enquiry. We apologize for the issues you have been encountering recently. We are working towards improving our service for all our users and your feedback is very valuable. I will explain how it works. The scheme is setup to keep the access period parallel across all keys on one account. This means that any access period purchased on the account will be multiplied by the amount of keys you have purchased. Subsequently, when an access period is triggered with one key, all keys on the account will begin and end at the same time. For further information please do not hesitate to email or call our contact centre. Thank you for your interest in the scheme.

My name is not McLaughlin so clearly a cut and paste job!!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Well I complained to TfL and got a commendably prompt reply
Which is correct, but doesn't address the problem you presumably asked about the incorrect quote for a single account with multiple keys!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Which is correct, but doesn't address the problem you presumably asked about the incorrect quote for a single account with multiple keys!

True, but the quote I was given is consistent with the response ie the price of the access period (annual) multiplied by the number of keys. Your example is useful in that it proves they've already behaved inconsistently.

CopperBrompton

There seems to be a mixing-up of two things here. If you have multiple keys, then using any one of them activates all. So if you have, for example, a 1-day access, and 4 keys, then using 1 key on Monday will activate one day's usage for all 4 keys. But the account fee is £45 plus £3 per key.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
There seems to be a mixing-up of two things here. If you have multiple keys, then using any one of them activates all. So if you have, for example, a 1-day access, and 4 keys, then using 1 key on Monday will activate one day's usage for all 4 keys. But the account fee is £45 plus £3 per key.

Ben,

It may well be that TfL have moved the goalposts but if you join now annual access with 4 keys is being priced at £192. Try registering again, you need different personal details (Mrs Lovejoy?) but there's no need to proceed to payment. If you can attach to a message on this site or PM me a suitably redacted screen dump showing 'early adopters' got annual access for £45+£3 per key that would help hugely in, at the least, embarrassing TfL, Barclays and Boris.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Have a wander over to http://www.borisbikes.co.uk/ - there are lots of annual members there with multiple keys, and also some people with scheme contacts, so that's probably the best place to figure out what's going on.

I'm on there as well as here. I think I know what's going on ( a beauracratic cock up) and if you try re-registering, just to see, you will as well.

Unless you're trolling of course.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Are some docks being treated as priority? Holborn Circus (by Boots) now seems to have almost permanent availability. At around 13:00 today there were two guys in a hire branded (electric?) van plus two hefty tail lift trucks uplifting well over 20 bikes already off the station and picking up more as they arrived. By the time they finished only the eastmost bank of docks was occupied. The other two with about 24 spaces between them were empty - but new arrivals were still filling one every two minutes.

On a sunny day like this there is an added demand from lunch break 'bimblers'. Had a really good ride round Hatton Garden and the side roads north of the Clerkenwell Rd/Theobolds Rd. Even spaces free at Bream's Buildings by the time I got back!!

CopperBrompton

Which makes sense, I think. TfL is doing a huge amount of learning at the moment about tidal flows, which docks need to be emptied/replenished when, as well as sorting the various IT glitches. Those who've signed-up for membership are by definition the keener types who are probably a bit more understanding of the learning-curve than the great unwashed might be.

Tynan

Veteran
rode one today from the nearest site to Liverpool Street to Borough High Street

all rather jolly other than the gearing is absurd, I was in the lowest gear for everything with a top speed of about 12mph, it means changing my usual riding style because it was so slow, no accleration as there was nothing to push against, and the handlebars seemed very wild in the turn, relative to drops I suppose

and my legs have forgotten what to do with flat pedals after clipless, but the concept is clearly excellent, I like it a lot other than the gearing

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm on there as well as here. I think I know what's going on ( a beauracratic cock up) and if you try re-registering, just to see, you will as well.

Unless you're trolling of course.

are you talking about the boris bikes forum?

I suspect something is going on there, as i saw two people i know from TFL asking for him to contact them on twitter.
It's a shame the forum software he uses sucks balls.

CopperBrompton

all rather jolly other than the gearing is absurd
It is for a regular cyclist, but we have to remember the idea of these bikes is to get non-cyclists onto bikes - people who probably last rode a bike when they were a kid, 20 years ago. Regular cyclists will set off in 2nd and then ride everywhere in 3rd, but I know some users who fall into the above category who use 1st for things like Rosebery Avenue.

Top Bottom