Boris's Bike Watch...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

That was always going to happen, as a vast majority of the people that have keys at the moment are commuters, so they will take one at the end of the day to either a rail way station / tube station or to where they live. TFL/SERCO stated this before hand and a fleet of electric vehicles that could move the bikes around was mentioned. This is also a reason why it isn't open to general use as well.

Why's that a reason for it not being open to general use? I'd have thought that general users might move the bikes back around after commuters had left them in the centre of London in the morning.

iendicott

Personally I think it is a great idea. There are a few cities near where I live that could beneift for example Cambridge and Peterborough which have had extensive money spent to improve cycling around the city. Peterborough has the Green Wheel for example.

I live and work near Peterborough and parking is at a premium, some places charge £12.50 a day which doesn't sound alot buy over 5 days you get the idea.

Peterborough is very flat so not a massive effort to get around, it would reduce traffic and get people fitter if it where to be adopted here.

My only concern which has been mentioned is vandilised cycles, but there is an element of this everwhere.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The vandalism rate so far seems to be astoundingly low - I've only seen one bike with visible damage (a wonky saddle). General use is, I believe, expected in a few weeks. Since the general use technology is much more complex than the key technology (involving credit cards and number codes) it seems reasonable to have launched the keys first.Last night I went bowling with colleagues, played a video game, went on the dodgems then spent a couple of hours in the pub. I then wandered to a bike rack and rode back to the station. The ride was by far the most fun I had all night - the combination of low gears, heavy bike and mild inebriation was fun. The lights are useless for seeing where you're going, but that's not their function - you've got street lights for that. They're perfectly adequate for being seen, and the double rear light is a particularly good touch.

StuartG

slower but further
I saw three at the same traffic lights in Farringdon yesterday
More importantly how many will make the Whitstable FNRttC? Or can only Colnagos apply
wacko.gif

martint235

Dog on a bike
Wasn't sure where else to put this but there's a useful android app called Cycle Hire widget which will show your nearest bike racks with how many bikes there are and how many slots..

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I am not reading through 11 pages to check if I am double posting, so my apologies if I am

Website showing capacity at docking stations

Quite interesting to use that and note how the position has changed since I checked physically an hour ago. Carey Street & Portugal St were both full at 10:00, now both have significant capacity. Wonder whether the bikes have been hired or if they've been lifted by TfL and taken to other places - the docking station at Drummond Street was empty ay 09:35 but now has bikes. Bream's Buildings has been flkl for some time.

The one space shown at Holborn circus may be the faulty one I tried to use before eventually dropping the bike in Hatton Garden.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but there is a glitch in the billing system. I am a member and hold 2 keys but at the moment I'm paying daily if/when I need a bike.

I had a problem this morning where the docking station would not release a bike for me. Wait for call centre was reasonably brief and I was told that, notwithstanding having an auto renew, I had no hire period open. Operative opened one for me, I then re-inserted key and rode away.

Logged in to the site and noticed I'd been charged £2 for this acess period (and for the first outing last week).

Call centre tell me if you have more than one key and open a daily accessyou will be charged £1 for each key. This is a system problem being looked into and I had no trouble persuading the guy to authorise a refund but others with multiple keys may want to check their billing history carefully.

StuartG

slower but further
Call centre tell me if you have more than one key and open a daily accessyou will be charged £1 for each key. This is a system problem being looked into ...

Now saying this is part of the design. Certainly didn't appear to be that way in the original sign up spec. This was in the email being sent to all daily/weekly members last night:

I've noticed that when you signed up for Membership you opted to purchase more than one key and so I’m taking this opportunity to remind you of how your "multiple key account" works.

As soon as you use the first key to undock a cycle, your access period (whether 24 hours, 7 days or one year) starts, not just for this key, but for all of your keys. Likewise, if you selected the auto-renew option when activating your keys, once any one of your keys triggers a new access period, all your keys will be charged the same access fee and not just the one used.

If, instead, you would prefer your keys to operate independently of one another, please call the Contact Centre on 0845 026 3630 as they will be pleased to discuss membership options with you which best suit your needs.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Now saying this is part of the design. Certainly didn't appear to be that way in the original sign up spec. This was in the email being sent to all daily/weekly members last night:

I've noticed that when you signed up for Membership you opted to purchase more than one key and so I’m taking this opportunity to remind you of how your "multiple key account" works.

As soon as you use the first key to undock a cycle, your access period (whether 24 hours, 7 days or one year) starts, not just for this key, but for all of your keys. Likewise, if you selected the auto-renew option when activating your keys, once any one of your keys triggers a new access period, all your keys will be charged the same access fee and not just the one used.

If, instead, you would prefer your keys to operate independently of one another, please call the Contact Centre on 0845 026 3630 as they will be pleased to discuss membership options with you which best suit your needs.

I've not got that email yet - suspect it is on my home account. However I've had a further conversation with a supervisor who confirms that 'charge per key' is the policy, though he cannot point out which of the T&C's makes this clear (and I cannot find it inthe version currently on the website). Although the website now explains this in the charging section it's by no means clear elsewhere and I strongly suspect the site has been updated since this morning.

If you prefer your keys to work independantly the only option is to run multiple accounts either in your own name or together with an adult spouse/partner.

I'm sure multiple keys were originally promoted as a way to keep family access simple. Is anybody prepred to take this to the media?

StuartG

slower but further
Errm - just phone LCC:

"No - we don't deal/liaise with TfL over the bike scheme ... yes we have one guy who liaises with TfL over cycle lanes but he is on annual leave ... its a bit new so we haven't planned ... yes we do know there are problems ... no one represents the cyclist"

Chocolate teapots came to mind. I mean this must be the biggest planned initiative in London Cycling since ... ever?

I feel a vacuum that needs be filled pronto. Anyone with me?

Top Bottom