Boris's Bike Watch...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Errm - just phone LCC:

"No - we don't deal/liaise with TfL over the bike scheme ... yes we have one guy who liaises with TfL over cycle lanes but he is on annual leave ... its a bit new so we haven't planned ... yes we do know there are problems ... no one represents the cyclist"

Chocolate teapots came to mind. I mean this must be the biggest planned initiative in London Cycling since ... ever?

I feel a vacuum that needs be filled pronto. Anyone with me?

I wondered if the Standard would be interested; they've followed the bike hire scheme quite closely. Might forward the email and the T&C's to their transport correspondent and see if he bites.

StuartG

slower but further
Trying to call TfL over the issue is difficult. Once again having held on a long time I got diverted to the 'overflow centre' who can do nothing but register a complaint and promise a call back in 24 hours which even they admit is "not happening" and that the method of charging has changed without notice (which can doubles/triple the cost of hire to multiple keyholders).

I am a great fan of the idea and really, really want it to succeed - but there seems to be something very astray at the management level (SERCO?).

So who is going to represent the cyclist in all this? Not LCC. Shall we form an informal campaign now to understand and even maybe help with the problems. If LCC want to takeover later that's fine by me but I'm guessing nothing will happen before the new CEO gets his cleats under the table ...

Oh and another gripe. TfL appear to have defied Ofcom in using 0845 numbers with their rip-off charging rather than the 030 landline charged numbers reserved for "Government, Councils, public services and non-profit organisations".

Ring 020 8216 6666 instead of 0845 026 3630 (thanks saynoto0870.com)

StuartG

slower but further
Err, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought 0845 was local rate, and 030 is free?
Nope. You are getting old. In the days of local and national calls 0845 and 0870 were introduced as non-geographic equivalents at the same tariffs by BT.

However with the falling cost of landline calls local & national geographics were merged at the lower rate. 0870 was left as a premium rate number. Worse still mobile operators exclude both from 'bundled' minutes and as prices eroded on bundled national/mobile calls both 0845 &0870 were left as premium numbers. Back in BT land they had to compete too. 0845 drifted away from national rate and is, on many tariffs, much more expensive to call than geographic numbers.

Cometh Ofcom and 030 numbers. These are non-geographic and MUST be charged at the geographic rate. Hence they are much cheaper or free in bundles than the 0845 number. Simples.

Now get me started on 0800
smile.gif

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Another little oddity.

The paper map shows a number of docking stations which are not actually present (yet) on the ground. The two that affect me are in Southampton PLace (Holborn) and Petty France. Are these 'to come' or have they been stmied by local planners?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Another little oddity.

The paper map shows a number of docking stations which are not actually present (yet) on the ground. The two that affect me are in Southampton PLace (Holborn) and Petty France. Are these 'to come' or have they been stmied by local planners?
I think to come. They have been issues getting some of the cabling required.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Another little oddity.

Yes, I've noticed a few of those. Supposed to be one in Romilly Street and another nearby on the map that don't exist as yet. I spent ten minutes yesterday trying to find somewhere to park, when Soho Square was full, then went over the free ½hr.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

Hats off to whoever produced that - it's a work of genius. I hope the planners at TFL take note - at the time of writing there is a large shortage of bikes in the central zone and a large shortage of spaces in the outside zones.

Incidentally, the journey software does seem to be a bit flaky. The journey I made on Wednesday morning doesn't seem to exist on my account...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Trying to call TfL over the issue is difficult. Once again having held on a long time I got diverted to the 'overflow centre' who can do nothing but register a complaint and promise a call back in 24 hours which even they admit is "not happening" and that the method of charging has changed without notice (which can doubles/triple the cost of hire to multiple keyholders).

I am a great fan of the idea and really, really want it to succeed - but there seems to be something very astray at the management level (SERCO?).

So who is going to represent the cyclist in all this? Not LCC. Shall we form an informal campaign now to understand and even maybe help with the problems. If LCC want to takeover later that's fine by me but I'm guessing nothing will happen before the new CEO gets his cleats under the table ...

Oh and another gripe. TfL appear to have defied Ofcom in using 0845 numbers with their rip-off charging rather than the 030 landline charged numbers reserved for "Government, Councils, public services and non-profit organisations". Ring 020 8216 6666 instead of 0845 026 3630 (thanks saynoto0870.com)

I might have a few contacts at TFL i could use to get someone to look into this. Or at least give me some contact details of who to get in touch with about it.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Further clarification on the multiple keys issue. Membership with 4 keys and annual access is £180 plus the key issue fee. Not at all clear from the T&C's where term 6.1 reads: -

1. As a Member or Casual User, you may permit up to 3 persons to use a Cycle during the Access Period provided that such persons are:

a. aged 14 years or over; and

b. authorised by you to use Barclays Cycle Hire,
(each person being an "Additional User").

I supose £45 for annual access and daily keys for the rest of the family is still a bargain but not what the initial blurb suggests.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Nope, it's £45 plus £3 per key, so membership with four keys costs £57.

That was my reading of the blurb. Were you successful in joining on that basis and if so when?

As outlined in mine and other posts above TfL have got in knots over memebers with multiple keys.

If you try and join now annual 4 keys the website quotes £192. I didn't actualy pay as I was just testing!!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
That was my reading of the blurb. Were you successful in joining on that basis and if so when?
I paid £51 for annual membership with two keys, taken out within a couple of days of the launch.

As outlined in mine and other posts above TfL have got in knots over memebers with multiple keys.
Yes, there has been a lot of confusion, now clarified, and certainly multiple keys only make sense either for annual membership with <30-min journeys, or where both/all keys will always be used together.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I paid £51 for annual membership with two keys, taken out within a couple of days of the launch.

Yes, there has been a lot of confusion, now clarified, and certainly multiple keys only make sense either for annual membership with <30-min journeys, or where both/all keys will always be used together.

Have you actually used both keys - I'd not put it past them to charge the second access fee on first use of the key.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Have you actually used both keys - I'd not put it past them to charge the second access fee on first use of the key.
Yes, all free journeys and all fine (well, the usual launch glitches of spurious billing that appeared for a few days then disappeared again).

Top Bottom