Boris's Bike Watch...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
One has to assume the system is broken.
The IT system certainly has some problems, but then it is run by SERCO ...

See my other thread where someone managed to hire a bike on my account
In reality, or just in your usage log? Many of us have had ghost journeys appear in our usage log and then disappear again. At first it looked like these might have been real journeys that somehow got posted to the wrong account, but in one of them I apparently cycled from Kings Cross to Kensington in two minutes, so they appear to be completely spurious.

StuartG

slower but further
In reality, or just in your usage log? Many of us have had ghost journeys appear in our usage log and then disappear again. At first it looked like these might have been real journeys that somehow got posted to the wrong account, but in one of them I apparently cycled from Kings Cross to Kensington in two minutes, so they appear to be completely spurious.
So it is a common occurrence?

Who knows? But having both ghost hires and/or posting to the wrong account is a major fail in my book. Being unable to cope with humanoids on what is still a very restricted service (members only) is also a major fail.

Two major fails maketh a catastrophic fail in my book. The system is clearly not fit for purpose. Being unable to freeze/cancel account is really a no-no too. A responsible organisation would have suspended operation while the sorted. But, as you say, this is Serco. Presumably they may be avoiding penalties for failure at the council tax and user's expense?

Getting unhappier all the time ...

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
a catastrophic fail in my book
Glitches, but hardly a catastrophe.

The service is up-and-running on time and within budget. It has already proven massively popular, way beyond what was ever envisaged (hence the customer service line not coping). Thousands of people a day are successfully and enjoyably getting from A to B on their Boris Bikes.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's awesome, what a success story, despite the teething problems!!!

Apparently there's a big surge of bike movements from Zone 2 to 1 in the morning, and back out again in the evening, theorised that commuters can save much money by not having zone 1 on their tickets?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've been really busy in and around the square mile since Friday and can honestley say that I have seen more of these bikes than "usual" ones.

During the day, almost every bike I saw was a "Boris". I guess if I'd hung around during the commute time then i'd see more "personal" bikes, as always. But for daytime travel, these things dont seem to be beaten.

I do wonder if the front and rear lights are too weedy and (partly because of this) am interested to see how the whole scheme will fair in the winter months.

But for now It seems like a massive uplift in the number of people cycling (all suited and booted)

Horrayyyy!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Had a go on one a few days ago - the pedals a re a bit slippy when wet, but it's not a big problem - I think the scheme is going to be amazing!

Stephenite

Membå
It makes me really happy this is working.

I want a go. I want a go.

Ok. There's been a few glitches. And there will, probably, be some thefts and vandalism in the future. But the service seems to be an runaway success.

How do we know it is a success story though?

I think there are problems....seems like the bikes go to one place and they have to move them round with car and trailer...Have seen this on my early morning commutes...Also some racks are almost empty at 4 in the morning...so where are the bikes?

Haven't really seen too many boris bikes from where I commute from - to.Disappointing...Mansion House seems to be the place I see them.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
How do we know it is a success story though?

I think there are problems....seems like the bikes go to one place and they have to move them round with car and trailer...Have seen this on my early morning commutes...Also some racks are almost empty at 4 in the morning...so where are the bikes?

Haven't really seen too many boris bikes from where I commute from - to.Disappointing...Mansion House seems to be the place I see them.

That was always going to happen, as a vast majority of the people that have keys at the moment are commuters, so they will take one at the end of the day to either a rail way station / tube station or to where they live. TFL/SERCO stated this before hand and a fleet of electric vehicles that could move the bikes around was mentioned. This is also a reason why it isn't open to general use as well.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I'm finding it difficult to log into the website at certain times; just gives a fail message suggesting I try later. Thought at first I might have 'misremembered' my password but a request for a reminder got the same try later response.

Got in this mornnig at the third attempt (wanted to check billing/use log in view of comments above). All OK.

I just wonder where all those bikes are when I see empty spaces at 4am in the morning.....Of course I hope it is a success and shouldn't be surprised it has had teething problems.

I haven't registered yet...due to trying to save cash and the fact loads of people seem to be having problems...Also the furthest east docking station I know is at Whitechapel.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Confused by empty Boris racks at 4am????

Well relax, help is at hand.

There are more docking stations than bikes...

Top Bottom