Bottle Cage Problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Will use the rear mount boss as the front for the cage and then mount a band on boss towards the crank axle. Using one proper mount then at least. loads of space so why not mount the bosses further back! Gez

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
I don't think you will like this suggestion, but you could drill the frame and tap in two Rivnuts in the right location.

That's all the manufacturer does, except in your case they've put them in the wrong location.

http://www.rivet-nut.com/Rivnut_Fasteners.asp
Thanks but that's far too much grief, did think there was a cage out there with a few options but maybe not. Frame has lifetime warranty too which I guess I would lose with this option. Gez

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Just thought I'd find a cage with several holes in it for mounting further back. Gez

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
DSC_0410.JPG

If you have no space on the handlebars for a bar mounted cage, can you fit an accessory bar replacing any spacers you may have to add space?
I don't have a picture to hand of our solution but here are the links to what I mean

www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-accessory-bar-t-shaped-55-mm-extension-0-deg-prod11041/
www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-accessory-bar-mk1-t-shaped-105-mm-extension-222-mm-0-deg-black-anodized-prod11040/

On our bikes we fitted the first one and then using a topeak handlebar mount for the bottle cage and then a bottle cage facing towards you had the water bottle close to the handle bars without getting in the way. I also had one of the topeak cage mounts on my seat post to hold a meths bottle as well.

www.topeak.com/products/Bottle-Cages/cagemount

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Thanks for that. Not too bothered about mounting options on the bars or seatpost. Have a wedge bag on the seatpost anyway. Will try to mount onto the underside of the downtube somehow. Will manage something. Thanks again. Gez

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
The reality is that the frame is the same as Kona's Rove. For the tour version, the Sutra they simply put bosses on an incompatible frame. The Rove has the bosses in the same place too. They had left the third set off the Sutra last year much to people's annoyance. They simply didn't realise the frame wouldn't accommodate the cage and a bottle. Very badly thought out design on an otherwise excellent and very enjoyable bike. Thanks for your help everyone. Probably best to not bother to use the downtube bosses at all. Shame. Gez

Last edited:
Top Bottom