bottle cage toolkits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I use the tool bottle so it keeps the weight down low rather than high under the saddle which improves handling when out of the saddle.
In the tool bottle I have:

1x Hexus multitool
1x Rema TT patch kit + emergency tenner
1x Tyre boot
1x Nitrate spray (meds)
1x Gel or oat bar
1x handwipe
2x Inner tubes
1x CTC card
Small assortment of tie-wraps

I could go for smaller tool, 1 tube, instant patches and save a bit of weight and space, but what the hell.
Under the saddle I can then have a small pack for Waterproof or lock as required.

I prefer not to have too much stuff in cycle-shirt pockets.

Furkz

Über Member
here is a quick pic. i positioned my multi tool and pliers to wedge it in and its nice and tight. if i used some plastic from an old bottle it would be perfect, but i dont actually run it like this

6192282535_6d91bc61d5_b.jpg

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Surely you need 2 bottles on long / hot rides? A seat pack ought to be all you need unless you are touring, then you have panniers. Am I missing something? FWIW I carry a waterproof on potentially wet cooler days in one of the bottle holders.

No you're right, for a long ride I'll rely on my toppeak underseat bag, but for the commute I want to keep my seat post clear for a couple of lights as the nights are drawing in and I dont like hangng a light on the back of the top peak (with the little loop thing) as it swings about too much

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The big advantage of the trek one is that it has a long zip lengthwise and hinges open into two compartments, each with a net and elastic loop, giving really easy access to the contents. I use mine for food, gels, energy bars , phone, money, route sheets etc, etc. It is weatherproof too. The wide mouth bottles are OK but it is much less easy to get at the contents.

Yep, that was exactly my logic, I'd wouldnt like to shake out the contents of a bottle in the dark, wet, busy roads of London when I can just open up a wallet with all my stuff neatly laid out.

those bottles are neat though, especially piemasters...I did see one called a cage rocket something or other, but just prefer the Trek...if only I could find a good reliable supplier.

thanks for all the hints...but any thoughts on a trek supplier?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
email from Trek :

Thank you for contacting the Trek Store. I am afraid that we no longer
offer the softshell water bottle. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

June Kowski
Trek Bicycle
Customer Service - Trek Store
801 W. Madison
Waterloo, WI 53594
Customer Service: 1-800-585-8735 (8:30am - 5:00pm CST M-F)
920-478-5615 Fax

Find Trek cycling apparel and accessories at: http://store.trekbikes.com

Looks like your only hope is to find a shop with old stock - not sure why you worried about trying Perth City cycles. Should be OK if you use a credit card and keep an eye on your transactions. If you have a problem you will know where and why.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
email from Trek :

Thank you for contacting the Trek Store. I am afraid that we no longer
offer the softshell water bottle. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

June Kowski
Trek Bicycle
Customer Service - Trek Store
801 W. Madison
Waterloo, WI 53594
Customer Service: 1-800-585-8735 (8:30am - 5:00pm CST M-F)
920-478-5615 Fax

Find Trek cycling apparel and accessories at: http://store.trekbikes.com

Looks like your only hope is to find a shop with old stock - not sure why you worried about trying Perth City cycles. Should be OK if you use a credit card and keep an eye on your transactions. If you have a problem you will know where and why.

I gave Perth a call and they have sold out too, (sold the last one about 3 weeks ago). He suggested that Scott are about to release an equivalent so I'll sit tight and keep an eye out.

I'm surprised Trek stopped them as they seem like a neat idea to me

Top Bottom