bottle cages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
Bog standard black Pataos for me on all bikes - nice and strong (don't get bent), and I find the shape of it allows you to guide the bottle in without looking down.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Why not try one of these, there is a lot you could do with £77 you would save over the Campag....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hairy Jock said:
Why not try one of these, there is a lot you could do with £77 you would save over the Campag....

Nice idea !

I fitted an adjustable Topeak Modula cage to the MTB last winter to hold my Electron halogen lights' bottle-battery more securely (the normal cage was too big and I had to use rubber bands and rolled-up bubblewrap to stop the battery rattling around / falling out).

Mr Pig

Dave5N said:
If you need diluted energy drink, fill two bottles.

What I do is take one large bottle of diluted energy drink and the correct amount of powder to do another bottle. I put the powder in the corner of a freezer bag, elastic band round it and cut off the excess bag. Looks like a bag of drugs but does the job :0)

Then when I run out I find somewhere to refill the bottle with water, there's always somewhere, and add the powder.

bonj2

Mr Pig said:
What I do is take one large bottle of diluted energy drink and the correct amount of powder to do another bottle. I put the powder in the corner of a freezer bag, elastic band round it and cut off the excess bag. Looks like a bag of drugs but does the job :0)

Then when I run out I find somewhere to refill the bottle with water, there's always somewhere, and add the powder.

talking of that, i wonder if anyone's tried snorting energy drink powder?

Hi all. One of my only useable bottle cage mounting points has got a ball bearing poked into it (how it got there I don't know as I bought the bike second hand and didn't find out until after I had got it home) and I was wondering how else I could fasten on the cage when I saw the mention of using cable ties so I will give it a try:smile:.

Mr Pig

Have you tried to pull the bearing out with a magnet? If that doesn't work you could use a small drill, with a sleeve round it to keep it central, and drill a hole on the ball.

If you can't get it out you could use the one remaining screw hole plus a cable tie at the other end, but I'd get it out! ;0)

Mr Pig

Headgardener said:
The other bottle mount has my pump and lock on it so I can't use it really.

Most pumps come with a bracket that mounts them to the side so that you can still mount a bottle on the same holes. Mine is like that, my pump and bottle are mounted together.

Most locks I've seen come with a bracket that clamps around a tube rather than using the bottle holes. Isn't yours like that?

I'd persevere with the ball bearing. It went in, it should come out! ;0)

BMR

Hi try decathlon they have a very cheap plastic bottle holder that i have found does the job well.
On the subject of the ball bearing, you will have real big problems drilling it as they are very very hard as well as being a convex surface so the drill will wander. Depending on the make of frame and if the tube the bottle mounts to is a sealed tube you could try using an air line in the other bottle screw hole to "blow" the ball bearing out. PLEASE BE CAREFULL AS A BALL BEARING UNDER AIR PRESSURE COULD COME OUT LIKE A BULLET !

Top Bottom