Bought Carrera Parva. Starting cycling advice + tips for a taxi driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunner786

Hu guys,
Thanks to the advice from the bro's in the buying/selling section i have taken the plunge on the carrera parva from halfords.

I'm 31 years old, 5foot 4" and weigh 70kg with 50% of that coming from my belly lol.
Last 4 years doing night shift as a taxi driver and stuffing myself with takeaway every night has lead me here hoping to return to my 50kg days where i could run 5 paces without breaking down.

The bike will be ready to collect on wednesday and my plan is to start off with 10-15 miles after finishing work at 6am.
Havent had a bike for 15 years and only ever had BMX's.
Any help on the gears snd how to best use them? Also im thinking of buying a cycle computer to keep track of distance + speed. Are these worth buying?

Any other early morning riders here before bedtime?

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Just get out, enjoy yourself:okay:
Initial rides, just get used to gears, brakes etc..
it'll all fall into place..

THEN think about everything else....

colly

Re member eR
Hu guys,
Thanks to the advice from the bro's in the buying/selling section i have taken the plunge on the carrera parva from halfords.

I'm 31 years old, 5foot 4" and weigh 70kg with 50% of that coming from my belly lol.
Last 4 years doing night shift as a taxi driver and stuffing myself with takeaway every night has lead me here hoping to return to my 50kg days where i could run 5 paces without breaking down.

The bike will be ready to collect on wednesday and my plan is to start off with 10-15 miles after finishing work at 6am.
Havent had a bike for 15 years and only ever had BMX's.
Any help on the gears snd how to best use them? Also im thinking of buying a cycle computer to keep track of distance + speed. Are these worth buying?

Any other early morning riders here before bedtime?

No advice. Just get out and enjoy it, set your own goals and let others set theirs.

Helloooo @Gunner786 :hello:

Don't worry about distances or gizmos yet. Just get out and enjoy your cycling.

Get to know your new bike first (work out what bit does what) and start with a few gentle bimbles, gradually making each ride that little bit longer. It's all too easy to try and do too much too soon - especially if you haven't been on a bike for a fair while. Let your body get used to cycling in a gentle manner.

Get
* a rear mudguard (zefal mudguard swan ~£10?)
* some cheapy lights (planetx do some decent / cheap ones ... and other places)
* a lock
* drinks bottle and cage
* some basic kit - gloves (weather is getting cooler and if/when you come off, protects your hands)
* pump, spare inner tube, tyre levers

aldi/lidl do some regular cycle sales and the kit is generally good value for a beginner. Get all that before a cycle computer ...

OP
OP
G

Gunner786

Get
* a lock
* drinks bottle and cage
* some basic kit - gloves (weather is getting cooler and if/when you come off, protects your hands)

aldi/lidl do some regular cycle sales and the kit is generally good value for a beginner. Get all that before a cycle computer ...
Some top advice there. Some of this i never thought of

Have a look at the beginners section of this place, I know similar lists have been put together in the past.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-kit.105761/#post-1924649
https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/beginners-guide-to-cycling-accessories-30683/
If you're starting to ride now, make sure you're prepared for autumnal / winter weather especially at 6 in the morning.

You may even want to move the thread to the beginners section?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Get
* a lock
* drinks bottle and cage

As luck would have it, Lidl have cycling special buys in store from next Sunday - I've posted a link on the ''''Found a Bargain" thread.

Halfords can be expensive for accessories so shop around and do your research, especially on locks.

As for a cycling computer, the world is your lobster. Or start off with a free app like Map My Ride on your phone and see how that suits?

OP
OP
G

Gunner786

As luck would have it, Lidl have cycling special buys in store from next Sunday - I've posted a link on the ''''Found a Bargain" thread.

Halfords can be expensive for accessories so shop around and do your research, especially on locks.

As for a cycling computer, the world is your lobster. Or start off with a free app like Map My Ride on your phone and see how that suits?
Cant find the find a bargain thread. Mind posting the link plz

Johnno260

Veteran
Just get out there and enjoy yourself.

I go out early a lot just make sure you’re well lite, it’s actually my favourite time to get out, it’s quiet not too busy.

Top Bottom