Bought Carrera Parva. Starting cycling advice + tips for a taxi driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Good luck with your ride today although I'm sure you don't need it. As for seat comfort , if your backside feels worse for ware after the first few rides don't let it put your off cycling. Just give it some time and the discomfort will ease as the rides mount up. Your back side will eventually get used to it. I personally wouldn't use a seat cover if you can help it. They can often become more uncomfortable than a Hardish saddle sometimes. Just ride little and often to begin with and before you know it the miles will soon rack up and you be doing rides you've never thought you were ever capable of. It you over do your first rides it can often put you off wanting to use the bike again, so ride little and often on your first few outings with the mindset of thinking there's "always tomorrow "to get out there again.This way of thinking will keep you motivated and eager to wanting to use the bike again and again. All the best buddy :-)

C R

Guru
Like @Reynard I got back into cycling after a long break. My first ride included a short, sharp hill which I had to walk from half way up. I kept at it going from 4 mile rides to 8, to 15, and though I am not fast I am now doing 30 odd mile rides without fuss after two years, and according to mapmyride, I am now ninth fastest up that hill. I could probably do a lot longer distances if I had the time, it is amazing how quickly you get fit if you don't overdo it. Hope the ride went well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The important point is that you can build muscle bulk and strength easily but the skeleton and joints take time to catch up with the extra stresses, which is why people often get injured when taking up a new sport.

Nonethewiser

Hope the first ride went well. As has been said by others here, don't overdo it and allow your body to get used to the idea of helping to propel yourself and machine along the highways and byways. I returned to the fold last autumn and for the first few rides my backside was a bit sore and was sore again for the first few rides in the spring after my winter lay off (I'm a fair weather cyclist!) but now it's fine - again give yourself time.

OP
OP
G

Gunner786

Went on my first ride today did about 15 miles. Was very tiring but should be ok in few weeks

The seats on these bikes are incredibly hard and the cover i ordered off ebay doesnt fit its not long enough. Went to decathlon even there padded seat covers are too short. Will i have to change the seat? Looked at all the carrera's in halfords they all have extra long seats. How do people get around this?

Attachments

• 20180825_090642.jpg
    20180825_090642.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 37

Slick

Guru
You don't really need a padded seat if you get one that fits. There are different ways to measure the sit bones in ones backside but whichever way you chose, getting one that fits is a revelation.

freiston

Veteran
15 miles is a long way for a backside not used to it. Sometimes you need to do more shorter distances and build up to the longer ones not because of muscle/fitness/stamina but because of the 'aris'. In my experience, soft squidgy saddles feel nicer when you first get on the bike but after a few miles cause more problems than they solve. If (after your rear has had a chance to acclimatise) you still want a new saddle, you could find yourself trying many before getting one that does the job for you. If you do go down that route, the Passport Navigator is rated by many (including me) and if you don't get on with it, then it is a cheaper mistake than a lot of saddles might be.

johnnyb47

Guru
Well done on your ride @gunner 786. That's a great first time mileage you've done there. Personally i would give your seat a few more uses before you change it. Your backside will be sore whatever seat or seat cover you use for the first few weeks. It happens to every newbie on a bike. If it doesn't get any better though and a different seat is needed, it's a difficult question to answer as to what's the best seat for you. Seats are very personal to each and every one of us. You spend a lot of money on one and still find it uncomfortable and on the other hand a cheap and cheerful one could be great. I think that's why at the moment before going out there and spending your hard earned cash on one give it a little time just to get your backside used to riding on a bike. Your sit bones in your back side will naturally toughen up with the more miles you will do. As daft as this sounds, it will happen over time and it will slowly get better over the weeks.
Once again well done to you on today's ride buddy.

C R

Guru
Well done on your ride. As others have said, if you go gradually, your rear end will build up slowly. I have never needed padding, but I spent three or four months doing 4 and then 8 miles every couple of days. This built up my rear end resilience, and made sure I didn't injure my joints.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Gunner786 before looking at changing saddles, look at adjusting the position.
Maybe a bit forward, a bit backward, a bit tilted up or down.
Make very small (millimeters) changes, then do a good few miles (not all at once!), before making more changes.
By all means, if you can, get your sit bones measured (YouTube how to or get it done in a bike shop), compare your measurement with the width of the saddle.

Sjw

Did you wear padded shorts or leggings? I'm so jealous, we got our bikes the same time but mine's having adjustments done. Missed going out this weekend.
Well done 11 miles, I'm not planning that far!

Well done, @Gunner786

15 miles... That's brave for a first ride... Especially, as others have said, for a derriere not used to a saddle. BTW, those gel cover thingies are usually aimed at city-type bikes and for rides of no great distance. For much beyond that, they become something of a hindrance.

I'd forget about the gel cover and get the saddle position right first. Chances are that if your bum hurts, the saddle is probably too low. With a saddle that's too low, you'll be putting a goodly portion of your body weight through your bottom, rather than it being distributed more evenly through all your contact points i.e. feet and hands as well as your bum.

A good "guesstimate" of saddle position is that when sat on the bike, your leg should be straight when your heel is on the pedal and the pedal is at the bottom of its stroke.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Went on my first ride today did about 15 miles. Was very tiring but should be ok in few weeks

The seats on these bikes are incredibly hard and the cover i ordered off ebay doesnt fit its not long enough. Went to decathlon even there padded seat covers are too short. Will i have to change the seat? Looked at all the carrera's in halfords they all have extra long seats. How do people get around this?
I actually get on with the seats on carreras and boardmans , If you dont get on with it then its easy enough to change the it
A lot of people rave about these saddles.
https://www.merlincycles.com/charge...MI0YPOxYCK3QIVR7TtCh1wagOJEAYYASABEgJ7B_D_BwE

Top Bottom