Bought Carrera Parva. Starting cycling advice + tips for a taxi driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamhearn

Veteran
Went on my first ride today did about 15 miles.
Well done, a long way for a first ride. Mine was 7 miles and I thought I was going to die,

And please do not purchase a saddle cover; riding little and often will allow you to adapt to cycling including getting your arse used to sitting on next to nothing for hours on end :smile:

As above you may need a different saddle (I use what came as standard on my road bike and use a Charge Spoon on my hybrid).

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well done on a 15-miler.

My first ride (when I started cycling again) was intended to be the long way round to home from the bike shop (2 miles), but it felt so good that I carried on to a village about 3 miles further away, then looped round back to home, doing just over 10 miles - I felt like I'd been to the moon!
Now I'm barely warmed up cycling through the same village on my way out. ^_^

+1 for the saddle cover - I bought one thinking the same as you, but it needed near constant adjustment and eventually I got fed up mid ride and took it off. It's never been put back on. Just get a pair of padded shorts (you don't need anything fancy, I started off with Muddy Fox ones from Sports Direct) and keep doing short(ish) but regular rides as you get used to it.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Well done on a 15-miler.

My first ride (when I started cycling again) was intended to be the long way round to home from the bike shop (2 miles), but it felt so good that I carried on to a village about 3 miles further away, then looped round back to home, doing just over 10 miles - I felt like I'd been to the moon!
Now I'm barely warmed up cycling through the same village on my way out. ^_^

+1 for the saddle cover - I bought one thinking the same as you, but it needed near constant adjustment and eventually I got fed up mid ride and took it off. It's never been put back on. Just get a pair of padded shorts (you don't need anything fancy, I started off with Muddy Fox ones from Sports Direct) and keep doing short(ish) but regular rides as you get used to it.

Well done my 1st ride was about 5 miles just take your time build nice and steady. +1 re padded shorts once you get use to time in the saddle you will be fine. :okay:

Top Bottom