boxers vs. martial arts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I think someone who is good at judo for example would win most times if they got hold of their opponant,Im saying this as my friend did this for years,there were two clubs in the sports centre,the other just played at it,but my friends worked hard at it.Groundwork was high on the agenda,as most fights end up there,and their strength was high.If a person is a serious groundwork fighter then if they get hold of you its curtains,you will be unconcious in minutes.But knocking someone out with a punch isnt as easy as some believe,only if you practice all the time with punching combos,and even then if you connect correctly,and this can only come with years of practice,and i mean hard practice,not just going through the motions that most iv seen seem to do.Or get lucky.Kicking is the same,you have to practice hard and over a long period to become adept at it,the point made about a punch being more direct and easier is a good one,but if you keep your kicks below waist hieght and practice like you would a punch,there is no reason why it cant be as effective in a given scenario.But as i have said,im talking about seriously hard training five or six days a week for at least a couple of hours each day.having the heart for it is a lot of it too,mental attitude can make or break a fighter,even if they have the best technique in the world.But what most seem to forget is that if your on the recieving end of a good solid fast and powerful punch,you will go down too,iv seen streetfighters who have more speed and power than most martail artists,and they have the aggression to back it up.Martail arts are not like in the films,its just another way of fighting that might be different a little to a streetfighter.Some of you will have seen documentary films of masters and high grades in a martail art having a bout,and they just let fly,similar to streetfighters,but if trained properly they might be a bit more acurate and powerful,and maybe able to dodge a few incoming.
Train hard and long enough,and you might be able to effectively defend yourself.Go to a two hour class two or three times a week,and your just pretending and would probably get hurt in a real situation.
If a good boxer had groundwork experience,then i feel he might be very difficult to beat,thats if you could,just like a kickboxer,these are the hardest styles i would say and the most effective.
But then it comes down to attitude too,if you dont have the fighter attitude,you wont do well no matter what you practice.Some circumstances granted,but a real nutter intent on putting you down? Probably not,you need to be able to stop these or you get hurt.How? by constant and hard practice everyday,i dont think many do that,so are kidding themselves,unless they are streetfighters anyway,and just want to expand on it.
So to answer your question,its hard to say,but if your a hard training boxer or kickboxer,then i think if you connect before a hard training grappling martial artist gets hold of you,your probably going to win,but if a grappling fighter is handy with punches too?? who knows?I suppose it doesnt matter what style you do,if you get the first few in then your chances are better than the other person,unless he is a naturally hard person with a jaw of steel,then your f@@@ed anyway:biggrin:

aqaleigh

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING COL SAYS - BUT A MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST WILL BE TRAINED IN ALL ASPECTS OF FIGHTING

boxing / kicking / holds / chokes / strikes / jujitsu / karate / wrestling / submissions

col

Legendary Member
aqaleigh said:
I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING COL SAYS - BUT A MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST WILL BE TRAINED IN ALL ASPECTS OF FIGHTING

boxing / kicking / holds / chokes / strikes / jujitsu / karate / wrestling / submissions

Kyokushinkai is known to be one of the hardest styles of karate,and the toughest training regime,you can see by the competition fighting in the links you gavehow hard they hit each other,but no face puching allowed for obvious reasons,which most styles follow unless gloves are worn.Id agree one of these top fighters in competition would be hard to beat,they are strong and tough with it,as well as very aggressive in their way.You would have to be very strong ,fast and have the mental attitude to compete effectively here.But if someone in the street wasnt expecting this sort of attack while trying to push them around,wouldnt stand a chance.
But its all just opinion anyway,its very unlikely a real boxer would want to fight a real martail artist with out rules,it could go any way,depending on the persons attitudes and abilities.Some kickboxers would be better than some boxers and vice versa.

col

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
Greatest Martial artist ever was Bruce Lee, greatest boxer is imo Mayweather Jr. Mayweather would get his arse kicked. A martial artists defence is just as good as a boxers and they strike with just as much power. Add to that what is said above and martial arts wins it for me.

Even the great bruce lee was just a streetfighter at heart,who after years of following wing chun style,which proved ineffective in real street brawls,started to try to find ways of making it work for him,hence jeet kune do was born,but even then it came down to being faster,stronger and more aggressive than your apponant,simple as that really,so if he came up against a person just as fit and fast who trained all the time ect ect,he would have a hard time too.

col

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
Fair enough, but I do still think Martial arts wins it.

In some instances they would,but then in others boxing would,its not as cut and dry as you think.there are too many things to take into account.

Noodley

What if I were to stare out a boxer and a martial artist (which I could do, no bother, I studied under Paddington Bear)? Would that make me invincible?

col

Legendary Member
aqaleigh said:
col - you talk a lot of sense my friend

Ta ,im not used to that sort of answer:biggrin:

Noodley said:
What if I were to stare out a boxer and a martial artist (which I could do, no bother, I studied under Paddington Bear)? Would that make me invincible?

yes:biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Hah! Old threads day!

When I was at school I was faced with lads who boxed, lads who did karate and one lad with a knife. With the lad with a knife I managed to kick the knife out of his hand. With the other two types I showed them, and the teachers who ignored the assults, why I was in the school athletics team.

Running away beats boxing and martial arts hands down. :biggrin:

aqaleigh

Noodley said:

OF COURSE NOT - cos i bet your nan can out stare you - SO SHE WINS

col

Legendary Member
Night Train said:
Hah! Old threads day!

When I was at school I was faced with lads who boxed, lads who did karate and one lad with a knife. With the lad with a knife I managed to kick the knife out of his hand. With the other two types I showed them, and the teachers who ignored the assults, why I was in the school athletics team.

Running away beats boxing and martial arts hands down. :biggrin:

Iv always said i wanted to open a self defence club,but it would need to be big,so you could practice sprinting,Only downside is some of these guys use running and sprinting as a way to enhance their training too:biggrin:

Top Bottom