boxers vs. martial arts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
aqaleigh said:
also in a real fight (on the street) a punch would count for almost nothing unless delivered in the correct spot - take a knee or kick under the jaw and you WILL be out cold

From experience, the chances of landing a punch in the right spot are way higher than actually even landing a knee or kick. I've seen people try and throw kicks in street fights and have never seen one even hit anything, never mind knock someone out! I trained with a MMA fighter a few years ago and he spent weeks showing us how to some really nice looking kicks. After about a couple of months he asked me to try one out on him. The minute my leg moved, he smacked me in the face with a straight right which knocked me on my arse. His reason? to teach us that the punch was more accurate and had less distance to travel!

I'm a big fan of boxing and MMA and have noticed over the last couple of years that MMA (especially UF) has changed from a lot of grappling to more upright fighting, ie. boxing with some kicks.

aqaleigh

you are forgetting one thing - a martial artist will be able to punch aswell as knee and kick but a boxer will probably only be able to punch

in the mma you wont see a pure boxer with no martial art skills win a fight - they can still grapple - wrestle - sprawl - submit - kick - knee etc.

therefore while i agree with what you are saying in part, i still from personal experience would go with the m/art evrytime

aqaleigh

maggot - depends on the tool and the headcase - just cos someones trained to fight in a certain discipline doesn't mean they can't carry a tool or be a head case

aqaleigh

Abitrary said:
Just having googled Chuck Liddell aka. Iceman, he looks a good couple of stone heavier than Calzaghe. Would Liddell be so cocky if he saw Mike Tyson climbing in the ring?

And what is an octagon when it's at home? This is boxing, not snooker.

mike tyson was offered to join the u.f.c. and fight for a multi million dollar purse but hosted a wrestling contest instead

Twenty seven pages. Wow.

Can I mention something Joe Calzaghe and plenty of other fighter have also said? Styles make fights. It's down to the two individuals getting into the wring/octagon/cage/whatever. That's it really. Apolgoies if this has already been mentioned but i haven't gone through all the posts.

You can discuss in theory who or what would win anything like this but without the practical it'll go on forever as nothing is conclusive. Twenty seven pages?!?!

I'm not trying to kick off or counter what anyone else is saying or start an argument or further discussion. Just thought I'd get my oar in. Twenty seven pages? It reminds me of the one about a plane on a treadmill...

Anyway, I'd 'ave the lot of you.

:wacko::boxing::angry::boxing::biggrin::boxing::biggrin::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing:

Mr Pig

The point that no one has made is that you seem to be assuming that the fighters would only fight within the rules of their discipline, which is nonsense. For example, Judo is a purely defensive martial art, so how could someone use Judo to beat a boxer? Although I still think a Judo expert would pin a boxer down very easily.

Most martial arts are practised in a 'non-contact' form simply because the fights would end in severe injuries otherwise. Boxers can indeed punch very hard but that's all they know how to do. If the fight was full contact, life or death, most top martial artists would break the boxers arm on the first punch. If you stage a fight where inflicting such damage is not allowed then you're back to the problem of the fighters being constrained by rules, which make a mockery of the whole idea. Sure, a boxer could beat a martial artist, but only if the martial artist is not allowed to actually 'use' what he knows. Otherwise, the boxer is going to hospital, if his opponent decides to let him live.

User76 said:
What about a boxer vs a martial artist vs a tooled up headcase?

This demonstrates a style I have employed on many occassion.

;) Good link.

Mr Pig

I remember when I was about fifteen this guy who lived near by tried to show off to his girlfriend one day by kicking me in the head! He was a Karate black belt, perfectly good kick I'd say, but he wasn't banking on me catching his leg and walking away with it :0) Gave his foot a twist as I did so and his face scraped down the tarmac. He wasn't jubilant but it served him right.

I also had two friends who were into Karate who died violently. Overconfidence is a dangerous thing.

aqaleigh

Eat MY Dust said:
Hmm a broken leg. Ask Gerald McClellan and Michael Watson what they think of that and I'm sure they'd say he got off lightly.

i don't think the debate was about sustained punishment over rounds and rounds or even years and years - it was who would win

if watson or mcclellan had their leg broken in roughly 30 seconds - they would not have been able to continue to fight

aqaleigh

Mr Pig said:
The point that no one has made is that you seem to be assuming that the fighters would only fight within the rules of their discipline, which is nonsense. For example, Judo is a purely defensive martial art, so how could someone use Judo to beat a boxer? Although I still think a Judo expert would pin a boxer down very easily.

Most martial arts are practised in a 'non-contact' form simply because the fights would end in severe injuries otherwise. Boxers can indeed punch very hard but that's all they know how to do. If the fight was full contact, life or death, most top martial artists would break the boxers arm on the first punch. If you stage a fight where inflicting such damage is not allowed then you're back to the problem of the fighters being constrained by rules, which make a mockery of the whole idea. Sure, a boxer could beat a martial artist, but only if the martial artist is not allowed to actually 'use' what he knows. Otherwise, the boxer is going to hospital, if his opponent decides to let him live.

good comments - this why i also stated - if the fighters were of similar skill - size - weight and the martial art was full contact not clicker then the m/artist would win

aqaleigh

Mr Pig said:
I remember when I was about fifteen this guy who lived near by tried to show off to his girlfriend one day by kicking me in the head! He was a Karate black belt, perfectly good kick I'd say, but he wasn't banking on me catching his leg and walking away with it :0) Gave his foot a twist as I did so and his face scraped down the tarmac. He wasn't jubilant but it served him right.

I also had two friends who were into Karate who died violently. Overconfidence is a dangerous thing.

are you sure he was really a black belt and in what discipline?

i've fought many 3rd to 5th dan kyokushin kai black belts and i'd have avery large wager that you wouldn't even see their leg coming let alone catch it
they also practice close in and leg held attacks and from personal experience i can tell you they can still knock you out even when you would think they can't get near you

Top Bottom