boxers vs. martial arts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
Well Col said Yes and he talks a lot of sense...allegedly :ohmy:

Pitta patta pitta patta,gets closer.......what?:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
aqaleigh said:
most of the time - even someone with his brilliance has to get it wrong every now and then

:biggrin:

Pitta patta pitta patta pitta patta,off into the distance...........eh?:ohmy:

col

Legendary Member
sorry bout that,thought id try a bit of self defence training,im too nackered too so iv give up:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
He fears the stare learned from the bear :biggrin:

Thats why i was trying to get distance between us,but i kept having to come back to read the post :ohmy:

Noodley - the poor man's Rupert. ;)
Think of the consequences to the film industry if things were a bit different. Cinemas would be packed to see Henry Cooper in 'Enter the Grocer', Noodley in 'Fist of Furry'...etc etc.
The foyer would be a safer place...

Mr Pig

aqaleigh said:
are you sure he was really a black belt and in what discipline?

He was a black belt in Shotokan, and I know that one can catch a kick because one did! Easily. It was no problem at all. I was quite strong and well built when I was that age, he was quite thin, and to be honest I think that if he'd kept at me I would have pounded him.

He wasn't in fight mode, he was just trying to be smart in front of his girlfriend. He picked an argument with me and threw a big sweeping kick. I guess he assumed I would do nothing but my reactions were not as slow as he hoped they would be. He didn't do anything else after getting dragged off the ground, just shouted a lot, but he didn't try to hit me again. Bullies tend to be like that, they're not very keen on people who don't just buckle in front of them.

Those fighters don't catch the kicks because they're not allowed to!

Mr Pig said:
He was a black belt in Shotokan, and I know that one can catch a kick because one did! Easily.

He was also a muppet for trying to kick somone in the head outside of a controled environment.

Mr Pig said:
Those fighters don't catch the kicks because they're not allowed to!

Which is what you just said :smile:

DId anyone see some Eddie Izzard standup a good few years ago when he talked about doing martial arts training and an instructor telling him if you have a pencil you can do this..."

I saw Ed Burns live and he was doing jokes about aikido practitoners using their oponents' strength against them. "There powers would be useless against me then".

OK this an argument that can go on for years (aparently!).....but....

If you were to put a 13st UF champion in a boxing ring with Calzaghe and they were to fight to boxing rules they'd be lucky to last the first round. Put Calzaghe in UF ring with UF rules and he'd probably have a fair chance of winning, never mind just finishing.

This obviously is not street fighting where there are no rules, but how many top martial artists would want to have had a street fight with Iron Mike in his prime, keep in mind this was the man who bit a guys ear off in the ring. What would he be like outside of the ring with no rules and nobody to stop him!! The story about Mike Tyson turning the UF fight down is a non starter as he was way past his fighting days and it would have been a gimick, eve he realised that.

NickM

Veteran
Dayvo said:
...Bruce Lee would have wiped the floor with Muhammed Ali!
I have now read up to page 8 of this (yawn) and nobody has yet mentioned that Muhammad Ali did once "fight" a martial artist. It was very dull. The martial artist stayed on the floor and attempted to knock Ali over with scything kick, which Ali avoided. Ali never got near enough to connect with a punch. I think they called it a draw.

Ah, yes - here we are:

http://prowrestling.about.com/od/thebiggestrivalries/p/inokivsali.htm

stephec

Legendary Member
I can't believe someone found this lurking on page 55 or where ever.

It reminds me of Paul Whitehouse in an old Fast Show sketch -

Could a stoat have a ferret, or what about two weasels against a badger?

Top Bottom