Boy! I don't fancy cycling in London!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I went to London last wednesday to renew my passport at the French Embassy. Oh boy! what a nightmare it must be to cycle there! Roads are crowded with cars, buses, taxis, and all sorts on two wheels. :eek:
I spent some time watching cyclists tackle the traffic. What a nightmare and what a circus!
I was so glad to get back to the quiet roads of North Wales ( in comparison to London at least).
At least I won't have to go back there for another 10 years and it suits me fine. Give me sheep and cows anytime, it is a lot more relaxing and enjoyable.:cheers:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It's actually fun :smile:
I cycled in Wales once - that was really good too but in a different way.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I went to London last wednesday to renew my passport at the French Embassy. Oh boy! what a nightmare it must be to cycle there! Roads are crowded with cars, buses, taxis, and all sorts on two wheels. :eek:
I spent some time watching cyclists tackle the traffic. What a nightmare and what a circus!
I was so glad to get back to the quiet roads of North Wales ( in comparison to London at least).
At least I won't have to go back there for another 10 years and it suits me fine. Give me sheep and cows anytime, it is a lot more relaxing and enjoyable.:cheers:
Though I cycle in London I sometimes get intimidated by the thought of our chaotic roads. I tell myself that there are all those little cut throughs that avoid the busiest streets. Thus calmed, I go out and once I get warmed up and into the flow of things, it's really not that bad and, despite my pre-ride nerves, I find I don't use the quietest streets, I slip into ''quickest route with the fewest lights'' mode.

Kies

Love coming in from the west of London. Starts to get busy around Shepherds Bush and then relax's a little through Notting Hill. Then we reach Marble Arch and the start of Oxford Street.
The west end tends to be busy, but the City is where i enjoy riding!!!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another vote for cycling in London.

Great fun, and one of the few places where I can keep up with the traffic.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I really enjoy riding in traffic, and London motorists a really very good. Strangely enough, the bit of my commute that I least enjoy is through a traffic-free park.

Kies

Yes us london drivers are very good. We know a pedestrian,cyclist or motorbike can come out of anywhere, and hence keep our wits about us.
I tend to look twice before changing lanes and turn slowly with indicators.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cycling in London is far safer then the countryside.
I really enjoy cycling in towns and city's just as much as I like cycling on country lanes.
Motorists in the city are used to cyclists around them
Motorists in the country are not.

Far safer than the countryside ? Do give over Ian.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Far safer than the countryside ? Do give over Ian.

In the City/Town you can see everything that is going on and can far easily control a situation.
In the country you have blind corners, high hedges, hidden exits and much more.

Don't get me wrong. I love cycling in the countryside. Deserted country lane riding is awesome.
But so is the thrill of cycling and mixing it in busy traffic.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
By and large, London drivers have a lot of experience of driving amongst cyclists. Those in the country don't. The last time I had a really scary moment was last August when a huge coach give me an insanely close pass on Kensington High Street.

It was from Wales.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Ive driven around it for years and not until the last 6 months have i realized what a fantastic place it is. With the help of some kind folk on CC ive seen sights that ive driven past but never even noticed. Would highly recommend the Sunday London Ride to anyone who likes cool people,cool bikes,cool cafe stops in a well cool city.

Top Bottom