Bradford Cycle Lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Street View captures plenty of people along that route - like this guy - who appear to have been scared onto the footways.
Ah - I know that spot. Almost certainly not somebody scared off the road, but somebody taking a shortcut to avoid going all the way round the roundabout. (I have never done that. Never. Ever ............. without checking whether i'll be spotted by a Googlecar :angel:).

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Ah - I know that spot. Almost certainly not somebody scared off the road, but somebody taking a shortcut to avoid going all the way round the roundabout. (I have never done that. Never. Ever ............. without checking whether i'll be spotted by a Googlecar :angel:).

I have to agree that is an unnecessarily large roundabout - a throwback to when South Parkway was originally opened as a dual carriageway (to match North Parkway, which ended up as the dual carriageway to nowhere...) :rolleyes:

.... a throwback to when South Parkway was originally opened as a dual carriageway ....
It was orginally planned to have a tram route running down a huge green space in the middle. :smile:

Even today, the odd and even numbered houses on S Parkway are on either side of the vast green space, with other street names and numbers in between.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Work continues at a snail's pace on York Road, but the completed section at Barwick Road (outside the shops / takeaways) appears to have become the car park it was widely predicted to become.
Yesterday tea-time there were 7 cars parked in it, today there were 8. I've reported it to the council, so we shall see what (if anything) happens - the auto reply email said they'll respond within 10 working days...:headshake:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yes, I remember hearing something along those lines - however the signs have been up for a couple of months now.
Lets be honest - what are the chances of seeing anyone from Parking Services up there? Virtually zero.
Even during the working day (when most of the takeaways are shut), it's unlikely to get anything other than a fleeting occasional visit from one of the enforcement officers who are meant to be down at Cross Gates.
The council will no doubt claim they don't have the resources, ignoring the fact that dishing a couple of tickets out would make it self funding...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Received a response - apparently Parking Services will issue warnings on vehicles parked on the CSH from 23rd June, with enforcement / tickets issued from 27th June.

Separately, I've heard on the grapevine that the "official" opening date for the CSH is now 20th June, which I must admit sounds very optimistic given the current state of works...

Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
Received a response - apparently Parking Services will issue warnings on vehicles parked on the CSH from 23rd June, with enforcement / tickets issued from 27th June.

Separately, I've heard on the grapevine that the "official" opening date for the CSH is now 20th June, which I must admit sounds very optimistic given the current state of works...
"Official Opening" is just there for those in the council to have their picture taken alongside a section of it. Whilst telling everyone look at what they got done.

Doesn't mean the work is finished.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
"Official Opening" is just there for those in the council to have their picture taken alongside a section of it. Whilst telling everyone look at what they got done.

Doesn't mean the work is finished.

Like I say, it's from no more reliable a source than the grapevine, but there is no way whatsoever that they're going to have the amount of work that needs doing on York Road alone done in 10 days even if they were to work 24/7 on the CSH.
I'm really struggling to understand the slow rate of work and particularly the piecemeal attitude towards the construction - we'll start a bit here, then start something else up here, then something else over here, leaving a trail of unfinished work behind them. I can only assume it's because the council are doing the work themselves. The section past Asda is still unfinished, six months after they started it and there is precious little evidence of any meaningful recent work there.

Has anyone seen the appalling and potentially dangerous changes being put in Leeds bound opposite what was the Dog and Gun?
The street scene there was a wide pavement with intermittent painted parking bays (although most of the houses have drives), then a bus/cycle lane and two normal traffic lanes. The (unfinished) scheme from what I could see between all the cones now seems to consist of a narrowed pavement, then the CSH, then a fairly continuous parking bay for residents, then the bus/cycle lane and normal traffic lanes.
Which means anyone cycling in the CSH looks like they are going to be in danger of car doors being opened on them for the full length of this section! Whilst also watching for people pulling off their drives at the same time... Who on earth signed this off?:eek:

classic33

Leg End Member

Bradford Council Parking Enforcement will not be issuing fines to any driver who parks on any cycle lane within Bradford. Warnings only, if somebody gets the details of the vehicle, time and location of any such incident and then passes them onto the council.

The ticketing of vehicles on the Cycle Super Highway will be done from Leeds.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Plans being developed to fill the Leeds city centre gap, and connect the Leeds-Seacroft and Leeds-Bradford sections of the superhighway. Could be interesting. :smile:

You're right, it sounds interesting even though it should really have been done with the rest of the CSH scheme.

Possibly ties in with the many press releases about future plans to close City Square to all traffic apart from buses and taxis, although I suspect it might have more to do with the previously revealed artists impressions for Eastgate, the Headrow and Westgate?
That said, I'm not sure where in the city centre they could fit 2x 3m wide segregated cycle lanes in without huge remodeling and shifting other traffic elsewhere...

classic33

Leg End Member
Thought the road down from the old bus station was supposed to be being closed to all traffic, bar cycles?
No longer used as the "car park" will be going.

Top Bottom