Bradley Wiggins calls for safer cycling laws and compulsory helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We had a local survey in Cambridge posted a while ago the question was " Why don,t you ride a bike ?" Unfortunately "because I'm too lazy" wasn't one of the multiple choice answers ^_^ One wonders if it had been, how many would have been honest enough to admit that was the fact.

Only the very stoopid and those with an agenda rely on statistics.

I see you ducked the question about where you are claiming I lied and you haven't apologised. All you've done is shot off at a complete tangent. If you can't see the difference between a professional survey carried out by one of the leading survey and polling companies and an amateur local survey then you really are clutching at straws to avoid answering my question. And I guess you've just consigned all medics, engineers, industry, ICT companies and the rest of the world into the bin of very stoopid and with an agenda. Of course you don't have any agenda do you?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Do you mind ? I believe my studies so far to be very accurate ^_^

Ive just conducted another one.

In our village their are 127 residents, 3 ride a bike. My mate and his 2 sons ride one too, but they are outside the village limit, do I include them too ? hmm.

I suppose it depends on what i'm trying to prove :whistle:

The most unbelievable statistic to come from this research is that you have a friend! :whistle:

Do you mind ? I believe my studies so far to be very accurate ^_^

Ive just conducted another one.

In our village their are 127 residents, 3 ride a bike. My mate and his 2 sons ride one too, but they are outside the village limit, do I include them too ? hmm.

I suppose it depends on what i'm trying to prove :whistle:

Using your stats as a baseline from which I have extrapolated useful final figures, I reach the sum of 12.97 million.

This, if nothing else, is proof that the figure of 13 million UK cyclists is just that... a figure.

My younger son knows most of the lyrics of three Talking Heads songs. This also adds up to 13 million.

No wonder our prisons are so full!

Has this helped?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Add me to the list please! I hate helmet's too. Bloody mushroom head making bag o'shyte.
Oh come on, those Casco's the trackies use are sexy as shizzle.

and utterly useless outside a velodrome (but are 'road legal' having passed EN1078) as on the road they will boil your brain.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The idea of a drag brake is that it keeps you slow enough that your conventional brakes can stop you quickly when you start using them. There's no need to keep it on.

It was a clunky solution to the problem of lousy conventional brakes. Now that rim and disc brakes are so good there's no need for a third brake. We have V-brakes on one tandem, V front and hydraulic discs rear on the other, and I'm confident of being able to come down from 40+mph to 20-odd on either bike within a second or so.
But what would keep the drag brake applied? Unless they are using the gear lever?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There are some for whom a knock on the head wouldn't matter one whit.
The lovely Helen reports that since my most recent 'knock on the head' (see threads passim) I have become much more upbeat and she's 'lovin' it'.

Which is nice given that my morose depressed and grumpy state only started when I got my 'proper' brain injury back in the late 80's.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
We had a local survey in Cambridge posted a while ago the question was " Why don,t you ride a bike ?" Unfortunately "because I'm too lazy" wasn't one of the multiple choice answers ^_^ One wonders if it had been, how many would have been honest enough to admit that was the fact.

Only the very stoopid and those with an agenda rely on statistics.
But neither was "Because I'm a fat and ugly looser"

This time I asked the villagers " do you ride ? " and all the bl**dy horse riders answered Yes ! :wacko:
poorly framed question, see.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
But what would keep the drag brake applied? Unless they are using the gear lever?
As far as I'm aware (I'm no physicist), it's "easier" for a conventional brake to slow from 20mph than from 40mph - and the drag brake is designed to be effective at keeping you down to 20mph. So a lousy conventional brake will be good enough to slow you from 20mph to zero, but will have no effect at 40mph. The result is that you don't need to keep the drag brake on below 20mph because your rim brakes will be good enough.

I'm no expert on drag brakes - the only tandem I've ridden with a drag brake (the first tandem we rode, actually), had one brake lever for the drag brake and a second for front and back rim brakes combined.
More info here:
http://www.precisiontandems.com/arai.htm

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As far as I'm aware (I'm no physicist), it's "easier" for a conventional brake to slow from 20mph than from 40mph - and the drag brake is designed to be effective at keeping you down to 20mph. So a lousy conventional brake will be good enough to slow you from 20mph to zero, but will have no effect at 40mph. The result is that you don't need to keep the drag brake on below 20mph because your rim brakes will be good enough.

I'm no expert on drag brakes - the only tandem I've ridden with a drag brake (the first tandem we rode, actually), had one brake lever for the drag brake and a second for front and back rim brakes combined.
More info here:
http://www.precisiontandems.com/arai.htm
I thought one used something like a thumb shifter to set the brake to drag and then let it do its job, which implied to me that the operating lever has to stay put once you take your hand off it. But it has been 20+years since I rode a tandem with a drag brake (and I still crashed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom