Brake cables frozen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

It appears that my brake lines have frozen this morning, the left handle won't budge, the right one did and now the front brake is stuck on.

I washed the bike yesterday and gave it a good soaking, I'm guessing that water has gone into the brake cable sleeving and frozen overnight in the shed, the cables are exposed in parts of the frame and then sleeved on the bendy bits.

So, will the brakes and gears be ok once it thaws out? is the ice likely to have done any damage?

I had also put a bit of bicycle oil onto the cables at the entry to the sleeves, I can't see this having caused any problems.

I'm glad I check my brakes before moving off now though, would hate to have been halfway down the road before finding out.

PS. I didn't do the obvious and use hot water as I didn't want to have that freeze up later on and be stuck at work with it.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
assuming it has iced up just let it dry out - then see how it performs to ascertain as to whether it was ice or not. Should be fiine

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Should be fine. Don't tug on the brakes until they've thawed, then blow them out with some water dispersant, and pop a little grease in the ends. Personally, I reckon you've got off lightly. Mine froze last winter, but both bikes are kept indoors.

Cold ride + warm kitchen = condensation in the lines.
Warm kitchen + cold ride + long uphill = undetected frozen cables.
Long descent into South London = rapidly detected frozen cables.

Net result. Very. Messy. Pants.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

got home tonight and had a quick check - appear to be operating normally, will try them out in the morning unless there is still moisture that may freeze again. Arallsop, I was worried of something like that if i'd freed them off so left it for today.

To be honest, it needs an overhaul anyway, so have ordered some new cables for the gears and brakes today, so that will be an education getting those to work xx( Am I right that you need correct type of cable and outer for gears and brakes? Brake outers are stronger? Other than that and the length there should be no specifics in ordering a cable? I've ordered a couple of 'kits' - Shimano Deore which says it will fit hybrids, so if these old ones last the week it will be a project for Friday.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
if you have a digital cam, take many pictures at all stages incase you get flustered trying to work out what went over/under/around what/where/which.

Don't forget, you can use the old outer as a measure for new runs, but it does mean having both off the bike at the same time.

Top Bottom