Brake pads

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Cheshire Celt, 21 Aug 2012.

1. Cheshire Celt

Cheshire Celt Legend

The brake pads on my new Scott s50 speedster are getting a little low would appreciate some advice on some good quality pads thanks in advance

2. jayonabike

jayonabike Powered by caffeine & whisky

Koolstop brake pads are good quality. The salmon coloured are great for stopping in the wet but a softer compound than the black

dave r likes this.
  3. andytheflyer

andytheflyer Veteran

Kool Stops. No further dicussion required. Buy the holders (usually come with pink/black pads) and fit the pink (salmons) as required. Perfect for Cheshire cowsh............

Progressive, quiet, sensitive. Nothing better - even though I've not tried the rest. End of story.

You'll not regret them.

4. OP
    OP
    Cheshire Celt

Cheshire Celt Legend

Thanks guys

5. andytheflyer

andytheflyer Veteran

U R welcome - do you get cowsh...... in Alsager?

6. OP
    OP
    Cheshire Celt

Cheshire Celt Legend

Not too much shite on the rds lol

7. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

You must be using your brakes too much; my standard black Shimano pads are still mostly unworn after 4500 miles!

Regular cleaning of rims and pads will make them last longer and of course I seldom ride in wet weather, being a fair weather ponce.

8. being a fairweather ponce probably explains why your pads are still unworn...

9. OP
    OP
    Cheshire Celt

Cheshire Celt Legend

Yeh had a few wet rides lately

10. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

There's a good website that do their own pads and are very cheap - can't temember it off the top of my head (Colin J knows it) but I bought 2 sets off them for about a fiver. They are pretty good pads too.

11. discobrakes?

12. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

Yes:thumbsup:

FYI, I have bought swisstop before and they are excellent. However the discobrake pads seem to be no worse. They have been on the rear brake now for about 2 months and show very little wear (perhaps 1000 miles on them).

13. Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger im a little tea pot

im using aztec charcoals at the minute, i tried the cheapy clarks ones and i didnt stop so quickly binned them (kept the shiny shiny cartidge holders) for the charcoals. love them however care is still needed in the wet!

14. likewise, I'm using a std discobrakes pad set to replace my original SRAM pads (made by Swisstop) - they are just as effective..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice