Breaking in a Brooks saddle the unofficial way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I found the method I used. Heating in oven was the way and horse saddle oil. I used Flexalan see here https://www.dropbox.com/s/0cldib05xw4fohy/brooks saddle.doc?dl=0

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
All i did was rub a bit of proofide into the saddle top and underneath, leave it for 10 minutes then buff the top of the saddle. worked a treat. Then again, my derrierre appreciated my brooks from day 1. I wouldn't bother with all that soaking, dipping parlaver :laugh:. A couple of times a year i slap some proofide on it and buff it back up, the saddle not my derrierre that is.

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
From memory - with it upside down I sloshed a load of neatsfoot oil inside mine and rubbed it in as best I could, repeated that several times over the first couple of months I had it, and now I just apply a bit of dubbin or mink oil to top and bottom a couple of times a year.

That's a Swallow, which was actually pretty comfortable right from the start.

gom

Über Member
I’m sure Brooks are quite keen that you do not apply any exotic treatment on any form. A good soak in overnight rain has left more than one of mine in a sad state.
Like others here, I’ve always found them fine from the off. However they all deform over time, and all to the same shape - no doubt the negative of my derrière, becoming more comfortable as they do.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Of course, you could just buy a saddle from this millennia that isn't a collectors item/status symbol/badge of honour* and just does the job without any of these strange and unusual requirements regardless of the current weather, phase of the moon or application of your preferred tipple.......

(* delete as appropriate)

Just sayin! :whistle:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Of course, you could just buy a saddle from this millennia that isn't a collectors item/status symbol/badge of honour* and just does the job without any of these strange and unusual requirements regardless of the current weather, phase of the moon or application of your preferred tipple.......

(* delete as appropriate)

Just sayin! :whistle:

How dare you. :laugh:

Mine was comfortable from the outset. Never noticed any changes beyond. I did have to slacken off the tensioner bolt at first though, only a slither mind.

Top Bottom