Breaking in a Brooks saddle the unofficial way

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by jay clock, 5 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

I have one I have had for ten years or more. Only used on my tourer (next trip is trans USA www.usacycle2018.com) and I did cheat when I broke it in. Will look that process up in a moment and post it here.

Anyway, looking for advice on how to apply Brooks Proofide, I came across a video suggesting soaking it in water! Have a look
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzKCA4H8b68

Happy cycling

Jay

2. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

I'm sure I read one where it suggested submerging in old engine oil for a week then baking dry in the oven. I was a bit disappointed that mine just fit as I was secretly hoping to try the old engine oil trick

Illaveago likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

4. Its your derriere that breaks in to the saddle, not t'other way around.

5. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

All i did was rub a bit of proofide into the saddle top and underneath, leave it for 10 minutes then buff the top of the saddle. worked a treat. Then again, my derrierre appreciated my brooks from day 1. I wouldn't bother with all that soaking, dipping parlaver :laugh:. A couple of times a year i slap some proofide on it and buff it back up, the saddle not my derrierre that is.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
    Paulus, hoopdriver, Banjo and 5 others like this.
  6. Old jon

Old jon Veteran

Sit on it and ride.

Paulus, hoopdriver, Banjo and 8 others like this.
  7. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

I have to say my brooks saddles, both b17 and team pro were comfy from the off. Maybe they simply don't suit some people hence these bizarre potions and spells people adopt

Bodhbh, Illaveago and raleighnut like this.
  8. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

From memory - with it upside down I sloshed a load of neatsfoot oil inside mine and rubbed it in as best I could, repeated that several times over the first couple of months I had it, and now I just apply a bit of dubbin or mink oil to top and bottom a couple of times a year.

That's a Swallow, which was actually pretty comfortable right from the start.

9. Ian H

Ian H Guru

Most ways of speeding up the breaking-in period of a leather saddle also hasten its demise.

Banjo, Gravity Aided, cheys03 and 3 others like this.
  10. gom

gom Active Member

I’m sure Brooks are quite keen that you do not apply any exotic treatment on any form. A good soak in overnight rain has left more than one of mine in a sad state.
    Like others here, I’ve always found them fine from the off. However they all deform over time, and all to the same shape - no doubt the negative of my derrière, becoming more comfortable as they do.

Ian H and raleighnut like this.
  11. gom

gom Active Member

I’m of the opinion that each riders Brooks become a rider-specific shape, and a trained eye could identify a bike’s owner from saddle shape alone.
    Perhaps we should have a gallery?

Paulus, Drago and welsh dragon like this.
  12. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

I just rode mine - it was comfy from the off - my understanding the proof ride just waterproofs it.

Ian H likes this.
  13. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this..........

Of course, you could just buy a saddle from this millennia that isn't a collectors item/status symbol/badge of honour* and just does the job without any of these strange and unusual requirements regardless of the current weather, phase of the moon or application of your preferred tipple.......

(* delete as appropriate)

Just sayin! :whistle:

Paulus, Kestevan, Custom24 and 4 others like this.
  14. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

How dare you. :laugh:

15. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

You've either got a Brooks ar$e or you haven't. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice