Breaking in a Brooks saddle the unofficial way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
All i did was rub a bit of proofide into the saddle top and underneath, leave it for 10 minutes then buff the top of the saddle. worked a treat. Then again, my derrierre appreciated my brooks from day 1. I wouldn't bother with all that soaking, dipping parlaver :laugh:. A couple of times a year i slap some proofide on it and buff it back up, the saddle not my derrierre that is.
How fast does the skin absorb it, out of interest?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
How fast does the skin absorb it, out of interest?

The underside absorbed it within 20 mins to be honest because it isn't treated with anything. It's just bare leather.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Officer MacCruiskeen will be by later to take both your statements, do not leave the parish without informing the constables.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Policeman
(In this book, you will find the explanation of the principles of atomic exchange between bicycle and rider, esp. the idea that the more you ride a bicycle, the more it and you share atoms until the person and bicycle become like one another. The book is hilarious, but the wikipedia article has a spoiler in it.)

Over many years I have grown to love my Brooks saddles but they all need care and regular attention so as to maintain the leather. I use a slightly wetted brush of leather dressing, paint it all over the surface, wait for it to soak in and then buff it up.

As a former horse owner, I have always used equine leather dressing for all of my leather products, it is quite amazing how long a single bottle lasts and in truth it is as cheap as chips! https://www.decathlon.co.uk/leather-oil-150-ml-id_8220538.html

andyt414

Tried it, hated it and suffered all the way from LE to JOG. Sold it and bought a Selle Italia and have smiled ever since.....

Top Bottom