breaking News!!! Pharmstrong case closed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's not that surprising really. Tracks seem to have been pretty thoroughly covered.

raindog

er.....
This is what Betsy Andreu had to say
""Our legal system failed us," she said. "This is what happens when you have a lot of money and you can buy attorneys who have people in high places in the Department of Justice."

And it's probably not over yet.....
"The case may not be concluded for Armstrong, however, as the US Anti-doping Agency (USADA) has announced that it is "looking forward to obtaining the information" which was gathered through the grand jury investigation.
CEO of USADA, Travis Tygart indicated that today's decision by the US Attorney may help his agency pursue Armstrong on doping violations..
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lance-armstrong-inquiry-concludes-with-no-charges-filed

yello

Has the fat lady sung? In so far as criminal charges being brought perhaps but this isn't over yet. I hope USADA move master than Armstrong on dope USFDA!

Whilst I can understand Betsy Andreu's disappointment (believe me, I can ;)), I wouldn't run so far as to suggest corrupt "people in high places". I'm sure there was pressure brought to bear 'up high' but I'm naive enough to believe that nobody was actually bought.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
...and Bertie gets off in an unlikely win double?
If Ricco gets away with it I'll eat my helmet again.

P1020316.jpg

Attachments

• P1020316.jpg
    P1020316.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 32

Doseone

Guru
Personally I'm pleased, but then I admit I was a bit of a Lance fanboy.

Don't think the French will ever let this lie though.

yello

"the French"....... arrrrgh!!!

Believe me, there are as many fanboys as haterz in France! ;) That 'the French' thing is (yet another) Armstrong creation.

Perhaps there are more journalists with long memories here but, again, they're not exclusive to France.

raindog

er.....
Don't think the French will ever let this lie though.
WTF have "the French" got to do with it?

"The investigation into systematic doping within the team arose partly out of allegations made by former rider Floyd Landis in 2010.The federal government's interest arose from the possibility that doping programs, funded through government-supplied sponsorship dollars, could constitute fraud. The Food and Drug Adminstration's Jeff Novitzky was appointed to head up the investigation"

Doseone

Guru

"The investigation into systematic doping within the team arose partly out ofallegations made by former rider Floyd Landis in 2010.The federal government's interest arose from the possibility that doping programs, funded through government-supplied sponsorship dollars, could constitute fraud. The Food and Drug Adminstration'sJeff Novitzkywas appointed to head up the investigation"

So now the case is closed L'equipe will just let it lie will they?

Doseone

Guru
"the French"....... arrrrgh!!!

Believe me, there are as many fanboys as haterz in France! ;) That 'the French' thing is (yet another) Armstrong creation.

Perhaps there are more journalists with long memories here but, again, they're not exclusive to France.

Sorry, my post is an over generalisation. To be clear, I should have said certain sections of the French Press.

yello

So we've gone from "the French" to l'Equipe in 20 odd minutes... I call that progress! ;) (Edit: cross post, apology noted :smile: )

But, yes, I'm sure that France's most famous sporting paper will have something to say. They're probably going to cover the 6 Nations as well.... and the NHL, NBA etc etc etc ;)

Whilst cycling is France's national sport, and the nation does love their TdF and cheeky chappy Tommy is a national hero, I'd say that at grass roots level that football and even basketball are more popular. I don't know others take on it but my gut feel is that there isn't really a huge interest in pro cycling beyond the circus that is the TdF.

People in France might know the name 'Lance Armstrong' but he is held in as much adoration as he is in any other countries. His story resonates everywhere.

Doseone

Guru
Lance is a strange phenomenon really. He certainly polarizes opinion. If I really ask myself the question of why I choose to try and stick up for him on an internet forum I'm not sure I can give a valid answer. I of course don't know the guy and can only go by what I have read, press opinion, anecdote and hearsay etc, and TBH, I actually don't think I'd like him very much if I met him. He doesn't come across as a particularly nice person. I think Yello you have hit the nail on the head - he has a story which resonates, coupled with the fact that he was at the top of his sport for a number of years. I guess I like to believe in fairy stories.

Top Bottom