Bring student son home now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
but I think this would endear you to those locals who aren't nimby asshats who would like to see the busybodies taken down a peg:

I think this is a good general point.

Most of the locals probably couldn't give much of a stuff about you one way or the other - they will all have their own shite to shovel.

People are generally fair minded, so the rest of the locals probably would like to see the wings of the village 'elders' clipped.

As Hobbes just posted, you've already made contact with some possible cycling buddies.

In terms of community integration, that's pretty good bearing in mind you haven't moved in yet.

Trying too hard would likely be frowned upon, so you don't need to do a lot more until you've settled in, or arguably, ever.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks all, I think I've already written enough on this thread and as some have pointed out a lot of it is ill-considered.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I wear the same T-shirt as you, but I sure as hell would not want our boys to have gone through what we did. We were 17 and 18 with a 2month old when chucked out at 11o'clock one cold November night.

The one thing that does help me when I feel down and have anxiety problems has been listened to by a few on here and it works or at least helps.
But that’s we’re people differ in how they deal with things.....not one answer or opinion is right, we all deal with it our own way.........it doesn’t make my way wrong or my opinion wrong, it’s how I deal with things.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Like the local Bobby turning up on the doorstep as has already happened twice to one neighbour, also a newcomer like us. And he's a Scot, not English like us.

If we still lived in Lancashire I wouldn't hesitate to collect him and go into lockdown but here.... in a small village surrounded by people who hate us? Mrs Gti would have to drive down to collect him then come back by night and sneak him in the back door. Everybody knows us by sight so we couldn't go anywhere at all with our son.
What LAW would you be breaking to have your son back in his primary residence. ? I can't think of any LAW.

@jowwy when you find yourself repeatedly having to defend a post on a sensitive thread such as this (which is of no use to the OP), is it not a sign that maybe a bit more care should have been taken with that first post? It's a rhetorical question.

I suppose I think people should do what a grew up doing and don’t see it any other way.
And if people are unhappy? They should keep on doing the same things?
Can you not understand that a lot of people should change how they do things, how they see the world, how they react to things?
Can you understand that due to experiences, events or just the "normality" of their upbringing that some people can never be happy until they make some changes?
Can you understand that making those changes can be the among the toughest and most frightening things they'll ever do?
Can you understand that we are not all the same?

These are all rhetorical questions. If you do wish to get your point across can I suggest you start a new thread so as not to drag this one anymore off topic.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
@jowwy when you find yourself repeatedly having to defend a post on a sensitive thread such as this (which is of no use to the OP), is it not a sign that maybe a bit more care should have been taken with that first post? It's a rhetorical question.

And if people are unhappy? They should keep on doing the same things?
Can you not understand that a lot of people should change how they do things, how they see the world, how they react to things?
Can you understand that due to experiences, events or just the "normality" of their upbringing that some people can never be happy until they make some changes?
Can you understand that making those changes can be the among the toughest and most frightening things they'll ever do?
Can you understand that we are not all the same?

These are all rhetorical questions. If you do wish to get your point across can I suggest you start a new thread so as not to drag this one anymore off topic.
I didn’t drag off topic in the first place.......but well done on not saying the same to others that stating the same as me, another one eyed poster.....put me on ignore or report me, you Choose

Slioch

Guru
No advice from me, but I work in a university and I see the stats. The number of houses/flats in lockdown and the number of students having to self-isolate has more than halved in the last two weeks and continues on a linear downward trend. Anecdotally, we reckon there may be some kind of "herd immunity" being built up amongst the student population, plus the number of parties seems also to be decreasing as the novelty of being a fresher starts to wear off.

I can't speak for the Uni that the OP's son is at, but the level of risk may be decreasing there as well.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Are you sure he would be negative if he were tested or would you just take the risk and not bother isolating yourselves? I understand your position but if people just disregard the advice being given. This disease will never abate.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I don't necessarily recommend taking this stance, but I think this would endear you to those locals who aren't nimby asshats who would like to see the busybodies taken down a peg:
"He tested negative as a precondition of coming up here, so get your nose out of other people's business, do you think you're Mrs. Mack from Take the High Road? Also, awa' an bile yer heid ya hatchet-faced auld basturt"
I can provide pronunciation guides if necessary.
Surely auld besom more appropriate.

Top Bottom