Bring student son home now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
His call to make, but make sure he gets a negative covid test before he comes back. Would he be driving up, or public transport?

The last thing you want to do is bring a highly contagious disease to a remote, rural place a fair distance from the nearest hospital with beds for acute respiratory failure.

Fantastic post.

DRM

Guru
I think you need to get him home before the suspected national lockdown comes in to force, which I think it will, his mental health comes first, degree second, he can always defer till times are better.

My son is in lockdown at Swansea. He was going to come home for a weekend - but they imposed lockdown on that very weekend.

My advice - lots of texts - zoom meetings - and we are mailing him a box of food & treats - he's hoping to come home mid December for Xmas.

If he can't make - I will get some pressies posted to him.

My overall strategy is to show him we are there for him - and he hasn't been forget about.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is plenty of support for the students and they aren't locked down. Face to face starts again next week as infections in halls is very low now.

Its his choice and he would be allowed home if he wishes, the Uni aren't stopping it, but the Govt might. We're preparing to look after anything from a few hundred to over 6,000. I work where GTI junior is studying.

He needs to speak to the student support and counselling staff. They are there to help, and also his tutors.

We are all feeling down about the situation.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
He's 21 and I don't think he would have the mental strength to stay there alone through Christmas.

It's a huge risk because the villagers here are already dobbing each other in and sniping via the community Watsapp. We would have to sneak him in by night then keep him hidden.
At 21 he is old enough to make his own decisions.......

at 17 I had my first and only child, at 17.5 I moved into my own house, 18 left school, got first job And at 19 I bought my first house.......All that while my friends were still in full time education and pissing money against the wall.

You have to let him grow and choose what’s right for him, it may be hard for you to do that, but support when he asks, but don’t make decisions for him.....

Julia9054

Guru
At 21 he is old enough to make his own decisions.......

at 17 I had my first and only child, at 17.5 I moved into my own house, 18 left school, got first job And at 19 I bought my first house.......All that while my friends were still in full time education and pissing money against the wall.

You have to let him grow and choose what’s right for him, it may be hard for you to do that, but support when he asks, but don’t make decisions for him.....
It’s not a competition. Some young people are very independent at 21, some are not. Some are very family orientated, some are not. Some are still in the throws of “my parents don’t understand me “ and some have gone through that and come out the other side.
To @Globalti, talk to your son and ask him what he wants to do.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It’s not a competition. Some young people are very independent at 21, some are not. Some are very family orientated, some are not. Some are still in the throws of “my parents don’t understand me “ and some have gone through that and come out the other side.
To @Globalti, talk to your son and ask him what he wants to do.
Please don’t turn this into a slanging match.......I never said it was a competition.

im just stating that at 21 they can make their own decisions.

As Fossyant said he needs to reach out himself. Are his pals all in the same boat ? How are things at home GT ? If it's not good there would bringing Junior home help things ?

alicat

Legendary Member
I don't for a second envisage that students will be separated from their families over Christmas unless the UK is in a state of emergency in which case we will all be making hard sacrifices. Your son is an adult and it's his call. If he does want to stay with you, make sure he knows what he is coming to. I personally wouldn't want to go anywhere where I would be 'hidden' for an indefinite length of time.

Could you go stay near him for a few days and do as much with him as you can within the rules?

byegad

Legendary Member
His choice of course , but I'd suggest it with a recommendation to come home. The last thing you want is a depressed Young man alone for too long.

Landsurfer

Veteran
He's a 21 year old adult ... he needs to make his own decisions or he will never gain the independence that he should already have.
Phone and support him from afar .....

Julia9054

Guru
He's a 21 year old adult ... he needs to make his own decisions or he will never gain the independence that he should already have.
Phone and support him from afar .....

View attachment 555540
Joke owns his own flat, has a good job to afford the trendy clothes and makes his own decisions.
Joe lives in barracks and has a sergeant that regulates every moment of his life (in place of his mum). He doesn't have to make any decisions about managing his money or how to run his own day to day life.
. . . is another way to look at it!
Agree with your sentiment though.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Joke owns his own flat, has a good job to afford the trendy clothes and makes his own decisions.
Joe lives in barracks and has a sergeant that regulates every moment of his life (in place of his mum). He doesn't have to make any decisions about managing his money or how to run his own day to day life.
. . . is another way to look at it!
Agree with your sentiment though.

Thank you ...
This idea that those that serve in the Armed Forces have their lives mapped for them is a massive urban myth. After the 6 first weeks you are pressed again and again to make clear decisions for yourself and often others. Every aspect of your life is coloured by your responsibilities to others. All your training is to produce thinkers that can, and will, make decisions in the worst of times ... I think the view of the robot that waits for orders and instructions disappeared during the World War 1 ....
Certainly my 26 years of service was a daily and hourly decision making process to protect myself and others ... and still make things happen.
My decision to leave home at 17 and fend for myself in a different country was well made.

His call to make, but make sure he gets a negative covid test before he comes back. Would he be driving up, or public transport?

The last thing you want to do is bring a highly contagious disease to a remote, rural place a fair distance from the nearest hospital with beds for acute respiratory failure.
Spot on.
We had the same here just before first lock down, thousands fled Paris to go to second homes. We have such a chap in our village. To be fair we didn't catch sight of him for two weeks. We imagine he brought food with him.
Our neighbours are still very cross with him. I don't think he's endeared himself and when he retires here he'll struggle to get accepted.

Top Bottom