Brit humour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:smile:

Just checked the profoundly unfunny Jimmy Carr.

Yep, from Isleworth.

postman

Legendary Member
Mrs Postman is a goodun.She has said,when i venture out in my bibshorts,i don't always put baggies over them.

If you get knocked off the bike.

Don't tell them i am you next of kin.

My legs are not that bad.

But many years ago one of my cycling team mates nicknamed me Spider man.Because of the legs.

I've bummed around a lot and worked casually in several countries. Humour has always been an outlet for feelings, frustration, emotions etc. Needless to say that I've not always been successful in getting my meaning across. Irony mostly and doses of self-deprecation literally get lost in translation.

I've lived in Scandinavia half of my life and still struggle with my humour being understood. Whenever I meet fellow Brits at greenkeeping events or other ex pats we always complain and moan about the total lack of humour.

The joke we have is, 'How do you make a Scandinavian laugh? Point a gun at his head and say laugh!'

Sad but true. And it's no laughing matter.

Reminds me of driving with some friends, including a German colleague recently arrived in Australia from Berlin. The Goon Show was on the radio. She said "I can understand every word they are saying, but I have no idea why you are laughing"

There used to be a German sitcom called 3 Ladies and a Hot Dog Stand, or something and I was equally baffled by it. "We needed a form from a government department, and we had to queue a long time for it" Cue laughter.

matiz

Guru
The best British comedians all come from the North and I can understand that as I have lived in the South for 12 years. Much, much friendlier , warmer people in the North and Wales of course.

And the Midlands.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was dragged up and worked in and around Liverpool and think the spontaneous humour was brilliant.
Playing golf a few weeks ago and having a VERY BAD game.... a guy said to me "you are obviously on the crest of a slump". Although it was directed at me I found it really funny.

Old jon

Guru
Tends to be the throwaway lines that work here in Brazil for the English speakers, 'cos my Portuguese is dire. Great folk, all of them, while they laugh at my funnies of course.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5304980, member: 43827"]I think the opposite is true, unlike say the US who just cannot get laughing at themselves.[/QUOTE]
The Jewish are the best at self deprecating humour, with the Irish not far behind.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
If you mean sexist, racist homophobic "humour" then release the rabid hounds of political correctness.

I think everything in moderation. There are jokes that are borderline and Comedians like Jimmy Carr push this constantly. But the main thing is understanding when something is a joke and when something isn't. If you're easily offended. Don't go to comedy shows

Top Bottom