Brit humour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Damn it all to Hell man, stop making me agree with you!

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think everything in moderation. There are jokes that are borderline and Comedians like Jimmy Carr push this constantly. But the main thing is understanding when something is a joke and when something isn't. If you're easily offended. Don't go to comedy shows
Have to agree with 'most' of what you say.
Much of the content of modern comedians offends me so, while I really dislike it, I accept peoples rights to enjoy it.... and I simply do not watch or listen to it.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I think everything in moderation.
I think what you mean is everything in context. When Bernard Manning and his ilk used to make jokes about minorities he was definitely punching downwards. Just as if someone posts a racist joke on here they are correctly called out. Context.
Go and see Jerry Sadowitz, the master of dark comedy, and you will need to leave your trust in what you accept to be true at the door. Jerry expertly works the audience, pushing the boundaries far beyond what you think you can handle. He is very, very funny, but he will question what you think you should and shouldn't laugh at. People like Carr and Boyle are in his words " pale imitators" and I agree.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've lived in France and Spain and also missed British humour. What I like most about the British is that gentle joshing humour you get between friends and colleagues.

I once brought the house down at a party given by Palestinians in Jordan when somebody mentioned that most of the guests were cardiologists. I muttered that it would be a great place to have a heart attack and everybody roared with laughter. Unexpected result!

stephec

Legendary Member
I think everything in moderation. There are jokes that are borderline and Comedians like Jimmy Carr push this constantly. But the main thing is understanding when something is a joke and when something isn't. If you're easily offended. Don't go to comedy shows
Yeah cos Jimmy Carr's spaz jokes are absolutely hilarious.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:smile:

Reminds me of Clive Anderson interviewing Jeffrey Archer and asking him “Is there no beginning to your talents?"
I once described a colleague as 'a modest man who had much to be modest about'. I think that is along similar lines :smile:

I really do like the 'hidden shallows' comment. It made me laugh out loud.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Quick aside. Why the healthcare? I thought Italian healthcare was meant to be pretty good. And Italians certainly take care of their health (excessively I'd say) - the Italians I know think British doctors are uncaring ignorant murderers. And so are inclined to fly back to have their tonsils peered at.
Because it's free ^_^
I hardly see a doctor, I'm blessed with good health, but I appreciate the women's health checks we get for free here, while in Italy you would have to pay or wait a lifetime on public healthcare.
The dentist here is much cheaper too.
Back on topic, the most funny British sitcom for me is "One foot in the grave".
When I mentioned this in the past, people go "What??? Nooo!"

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
The first I think of is family and friends, but after that: yes, I definitely miss the humour. US humour is more slapstick and some of it just leaves me cold. I do miss a nice English country pub, as over here you just have bars (usually with many tvs, volume loud and people shouting at each other as they are in competition to make themselves heard). And English countryside and greenery and flowers, again not quite the same where I am. Additionally -and at least where I spent my formative teenage years in the UK -I miss the fragrant smell of the English countryside. I quite miss English accents as well, sometimes its nice just to listen to one. After stuff like the above, you do miss some of the food stuffs -you can get some stuff over here, but its more expensive.

However, I really don't miss the rain, the class system, the undercurrent of resenting people who work hard and are successful, or the generally more negative outlook!

Top Bottom