Britain by Bike (Clare Balding)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
If it was Julia Bradbury or Dr Alice Roberts or both of them together doing Britain by Bike then I would definitely watch. Clare Balding doesn't inspire me.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I've seen the Mid Wales one, I went to school in Newtown and they talk about how it was one of the biggest post-war manufacturers of bicycles in Europe, something I never knew in all the 20+ years I lived around there. And she meets local and national legend Barry Hoban who cycles down for a chat, still cycling at a ripe old age. My folks used to live near him in Mochdre and I always I hoped I'd bump into him when I was up there so we could chat about cycling but alas I never did. I often wondered what gorgeous old vintage bikes he had in his shed.

My "touring guides" are all ancient!

My main reference is the Muirhead's blue guides from the 1920s and a coupe of old guides like Briercliffe's

I acceptthatthings will hav changed, roads altered and whole new areas will have been built, but that is all part of the fun

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I watched it was very interesting, now I want to go on the lift, although some of the cliff path riding did give me "Mummy can't cope get off and push palpitations" over thinking of Squidge riding along them not for potential wobblers I think!

HorTs

Über Member
Thanks again for the reminder for this, watched last night's and set the rest to record.

Particularly interesting to me since we've recently come back from a week in North Devon.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks again for the reminder for this, watched last night's and set the rest to record.

Particularly interesting to me since we've recently come back from a week in North Devon.
My Freeview PVR got a bit too keen, and recorded the repeat in the middle of the night too!
I would have thought with all that rain that you have in Yorkshire @ColinJ that a few of those lifts would be ideal:whistle:
Water power was the main reason for building the original mills here, which is why the town exists! Many of the mills have gone, but many still exist, but have been turned into shops, artists studios, accommodation, etc.

One former mill in the town centre has been turned into a gift shop & cafe downstairs, with separate businesses upstairs. It has a replica water wheel inside and has recently added a water-powered electricity generator which I heard the owner say has generated over 5 MWh so far!

Kies

Watched this the other night - Claire just doesn't do it for me. I kept looking at her cycling, but not beleiving she did much past the camera shot

ankaradan

My Freeview PVR got a bit too keen, and recorded the repeat in the middle of the night too!

Water power was the main reason for building the original mills here, which is why the town exists! Many of the mills have gone, but many still exist, but have been turned into shops, artists studios, accommodation, etc.

One former mill in the town centre has been turned into a gift shop & cafe downstairs, with separate businesses upstairs. It has a replica water wheel inside and has recently added a water-powered electricity generator which I heard the owner say has generated over 5 MWh so far!

I used to live in the Colden valley, and was told that there was once 12 water powered mills between its confluence with the Calder, and the New Delight up at Colden

Top Bottom