Britain by Bike on Channel 5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I'd never heard of either of the Lambs before, but I'm really enjoying this lighthearted series. The banter is funny, the scenery is great and there's interesting little snippets of information along the way.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They were round my manor in last night's episode. Stop & Call hill which Lamb junior climbed with Tour of Pembrokeshire organiser Peter Walker is just a couple of miles down the road. I knew Peter when he ran Pembrokeshire Bikes before it relocated from Fishguard to Narberth. One of the choir members featured near the end lives two doors from me.

I'm going to have to try that Bug cafe at Saint Davids, the bug burger and chips looked very inviting.

robing

Über Member
Well I'm quite enjoying this series. It's easy viewing and shows some great British countryside and eccentrics. I don't really care that it's not about the bikes themselves. It's similar to cycle touring books I enjoy - all about the places and people.

huwsparky

Über Member
I quite enjoyed it too. Being in an area I'm reasonably familiar with added to the interest I suppose. Lovely scenery, we're very lucky of where we live.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I guess they can call it what they like. But I bet the large majority of viewers couldn't care less about what they bikes are, how they perform etc.

The bike bit is just a convenient theme to hang a nice undemanding show on
I'd happily watch, and am happily watching, "Britain's National Parks with Larry and George". The by Bike angle is simply a bit of marketing hype and probably an attempt to cash in on the boom.

Their relationship is very touching but the tourism content has all been done before and in many cases better, though you'll not see a better promo for frisbee golf.

robing

Über Member
Agreed, the bikes are largely incidental, but I'd rather watch it than the dire Cycle Show on itv 4 any day.

OP
OP
petek

petek

Über Member
That TeePee they stayed in this week looked a bit grim and the detached shed 'kitchen' was positively disgusting.
Hopefully they spent the night in a decent hotel and only filmed that bit for 'local colour'.

Nonethewiser

I'm still enjoying it and so is the wife who at best only has a superficial interest in cycles and cycling. The bikes are incidental, they could be hiking and I still think it would make for a decent enough, easy viewing programme as the Lambs are a good father and son team who appear to enjoy a close relationship.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd happily watch, and am happily watching, "Britain's National Parks with Larry and George". The by Bike angle is simply a bit of marketing hype and probably an attempt to cash in on the boom.
If it makes a few people think of visiting national parks by bike instead of car, then it'll be great for all who cycle there and good for many who live there.

The visitors might get a bit of a shock in Pembrokeshire, though. It's flaming relentlessly hilly. Maybe not the steepest or longest but a lumpy mix of both.

Top Bottom