British Cycling and HSBC (and diversity in cycling)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

What's not ethical? Contract with one sponsor runs out, gets replaced with another sponsor. The new sponsor is in banking, not telecoms, but could quite easily have been another telecom company, if one had stepped up. That's how things work.

oldroadman

Veteran
Well if I was running BC and a huge corporate offered substantial sums to associate with what appears to be seen as the most successful national governing body (not my words, others) in British sport, then why would I concern myself with anything but how good the deal is for BC and the sport in general. Never did rugby any harm. From what I can see HSBC are rebranding their retail UK operations and distancing it from the investment side. What better opportunity to get their name into the public eye in association with something that the public see as a success following the Olympics. I just hope it will be a real opportunity for BC to build on what they have already achieved.
For the record, I respect other people's point of view but I can't agree with S-Express, to move for example from one Media corporate to another would not be correct. Maybe 8 years down the road when HSBC ends, then would be the time, after the dust settles, but not now. Then again, we have different opinions, both can be respected, no problem with that.

S-Express

to move for example from one Media corporate to another would not be correct.

Why not? A couple of years ago, Ford ended their sponsorship of the Champions League and were replaced with........wait for it.......Nissan! Guess what - they both make cars. Nobody cared.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTj14QUFoBKiitbJX_IInnMLOkj-uizoJDFgo-Hy1DaNdX8ckvkNA.jpg

S-Express

Yeah great pic - but I'm just interested in why you think it would not be correct to replace one media organisation with another. I thought this was a discussion forum?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Banks at both ends of the track not enough? We now get one in the middle...

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
What's not ethical? Contract with one sponsor runs out, gets replaced with another sponsor. The new sponsor is in banking, not telecoms, but could quite easily have been another telecom company, if one had stepped up. That's how things work.

Generally, but Sky are continuing their sponsorship of the WT team and other cycling events. Given that and the close, sometimes blurred relationships between the WT team, Team GB and some aspects of BC, one could see how having a competing media organisation involved might be a bit messy.

S-Express

Generally, but Sky are continuing their sponsorship of the WT team and other cycling events. Given that and the close, sometimes blurred relationships between the WT team, Team GB and some aspects of BC, one could see how having a competing media organisation involved might be a bit messy.

The 'arms length' relationship between BC and Team Sky/Sky Pro Cycling is only blurred if you don't understand it. Anyway, that's why you have highly-paid laywers, to sort all that stuff out.

Hypothetically, a deal with Virgin, Talk-Talk, EE, Vodafone, O2 or similar may have seemed 'messy' to some, but BC's contract with BSkyB would not have precluded such a thing from happening if it came to it, I would have thought. I doubt there would have been any obvious legal barrier to prevent it from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom