British Cycling and HSBC (and diversity in cycling)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
coffeejo

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
to be fair I've been banging on about this for years. I sat on the CTC Council from 2005-2008 and I'm telling you, coffeejo, they simply did not get it. At all.
I've never understood why some organisations get it and some just don't. The person or people who can influence the latter deserve medals for patience and perseverance.

S-Express

No - I'm saying that I don't believe that BC is inclusive. In any way. That's not unique in cycling, but it's the case nonetheless.

It's not the case though. You appear to have no basis for such a claim, and I am telling you (as someone who has been a member/volunteer with BC since the early 90s) that you clearly do not appear to know what you are talking about. I'm not here to defend BC, but I will happily call out BS when I see it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It's not the case though. You appear to have no basis for such a claim, and I am telling you (as someone who has been a member/volunteer with BC since the early 90s) that you clearly do not appear to know what you are talking about. I'm not here to defend BC, but I will happily call out BS when I see it.
We'll agree to disagree, then. And I'll hope for better days - and, by way of a correction, I've been told that there has been a change in the website since the last time this was discussed, which was about six weeks ago.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/shane-sutton.199478/#post-4249142

I'd be interested to see the membership figures broken down, though. Are these to hand?

Last edited:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
As a white woman, that page doesn't speak to me.
if you were a non-white man it would be no better
Are you serious? It's an instructional video on safe bunch-riding skills. The skills are not gender-dependent and neither is the message.
Blimey!

S-Express

if you were a non-white man it would be no better

I suspect this is a wind-up, but I'll indulge you both for now...

Let's say you were learning to drive - would you only accept instruction from someone of the same gender and ethnicity? If the answer is 'no' - (and I'm going to assume it would be), then you can have no basis for disregarding an instructional video on bunch riding skills for the same reason.

Ironically, your attitude serves to reinforce inequality, not remove it.

I suspect this is a wind-up, but I'll indulge you both for now...

Let's say you were learning to drive - would you only accept instruction from someone of the same gender and ethnicity? If the answer is 'no' - (and I'm going to assume it would be), then you can have no basis for disregarding an instructional video on bunch riding skills for the same reason.

You don't get it do you. It's not about disregarding the video, it's looking at the bigger picture about how to properly represent BC as an open organisation. Seeing pictures of 100's of young white males racing along is not going to attract anyone from outside that demographic.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Although on the plus side, they ban mudguards!
but require helmets (and, before anybody takes offence, I have no problems with the helmet rule for racing - I'm a little saddened that you have to wear a helmet on the Ipswich club rides, but, hey, it's their club, not mine)

S-Express

You don't get it do you. It's not about disregarding the video, it's looking at the bigger picture about how to properly represent BC as an open organisation. Seeing pictures of 100's of young white males racing along is not going to attract anyone from outside that demographic.

I do get it - I suspect it is probably you that doesn't. There are already participants (I don't know how many, but enough to know that the inclusivity work is effective) within the go-ride and youth structure from outside the 'white' demographic nationally, and if you spent any time at grass roots level you would see that. You simply cannot take an instructional video out of context (one not even made by BC, incidentally) and extrapolate that BC is not inclusive, simply because the instructional video does not include anyone from a BAME background, it's simply absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom